Cover Art: The Time Collection at the National Portrait Gallery

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2005
      Dear Art Educators,

      The following online exhibit was listed in the Scout Report. I thought
      you would enjoy seeing it. Many different media used for portraits for
      Time Magazine. I liked the paper mache Nixon - thought that might
      inspire a lesson.

      8. Cover Art: The Time Collection at the National Portrait Gallery
      [Macromedia Flash Player]
      http://www.npg.si.edu/time/

      The US National Portrait Gallery at the Smithsonian Institution holds an
      impressive collection of portraits from the covers of Time magazine.
      In 1978, the magazine donated about 800 portraits to the Gallery, and the
      collection has since grown to over 2,000. The web version of the collection
      features a selection of portraits, accompanied by biographical sketches and
      audio where appropriate - for example, listen to a clip of Martin Luther
      King's "I have a dream speech" while viewing his February 18, 1957 cover. A
      few broad categories have been created for browsing, such as Sports, Civil
      Rights, and Technology & Invention. Richard M. Nixon turns out to be the
      most featured person on Time covers, with 57 appearances. The
      Resources section provides the link to search Time Magazine's comprehensive
      archive of covers http://www.time.com/time/coversearch. [DS]

      Copyright Scout Report 2005 - shared here with permission.

      Incredible Art Resources