RE: [art_education] Prisma Color assignment

  • Margaret Barton
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hi Christina Coro,

      Using Colored Pencils

      I have my Art 1 students create designs in our color unit- organic and
      geometric- First they do a color wheel with primary, sec, and interm colors.
      They are told to make the colored pencil look like paint and to use a hand
      sharpener frequently. Then they create organic and geometric designs and
      practice going from light to dark and to make their pencil strokes as even
      as possible. They use the colored pencils to plan a tempera painting which
      introduces the basics to painting flat areas. My Art 2 mix colors and use
      colorless wax pencils which we call blender pencils. My Advanced Art uses
      water color colored pencils to create a base and then do their colored
      pencil on top. I would suggest buying a few books and playing with them
      yourself. That is how I learned to used them.

      _____

      From: "Cristina Coro" <Cristina.Coro@...>
      To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [art_education] Prisma Color assignment
      Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:10:32 -0600

      I'm about to start a colored pencil assignment with my Art II class. (High
      School level). Although I've used Prisma Colors before myself and in my
      classroom, I've never really learned how to use them properly. I want to
      teach my students how to use them from the ground up. I thought about
      starting with using just one color to shade shapes etc, then maybe go into
      using two colors, and so on. I eventually want them to do a simple
      assignment (because even though this is an "advanced class", the students in
      it aren't serious about art AT ALL and wouldn't be able to handle something
      too complex), but I want them to do it with a good foundation of how prisma
      colors work.

      Does anyone work with Prisma Colors with high school and if so, do any of
      you have any suggestions on how to introduce them and maybe a simple
      assignment for them to do to practice? Thanks!

      Cristina Coro
      Art Teacher
      San Marcos High School

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Fine
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+shipping&w1=Fine+art+shipping&
      w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+ink
      jet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=RXHkxhTGwao90vPy8nbMQA> art
      shipping

      Fine
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w1=Fine+art+sh
      ipping&w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+
      art+inkjet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=b_fxr5HmK4A68-eEE1ZuWw>
      art giclee printing

      Buy
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Buy+fine+art&w1=Fine+art+shipping&w2=Fi
      ne+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+inkjet+p
      aper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=yy9xF4ANDUtPhITyW6_UPQ> fine art

      Art
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+education&w1=Fine+art+shipping&w2=F
      ine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+inkjet+
      paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=p-6EMgRFFwDTOq6kjHiQXw> education

      Fine
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w1=Fine+art+shipp
      ing&w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art
      +inkjet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=a55PRsTRTmI-FgLAyKujVw>
      art inkjet paper

      Fine
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+printing&w1=Fine+art+shipping&
      w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+ink
      jet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=hlqW4zAhSGvZllqoC0pOKA> art
      printing

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      * Visit your group "art_education
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education> " on the web.

      _____

    • Peri Raygor-Yanez
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
        I learned from my teacher and was able to share this with my
        students: Snip strands of shiny ribbon. Each person gets three
        prismacolors: a dark and light of one color and a white. Use the
        light color as your medium. Use this rubric: never blend the white
        into the dark color and always hatch in the same direction as the
        flow of the ribbon (never from edge to edge). Blend the dark into
        the medium and the white into the medium. Draw the ribbon showing the
        highlights and shadow tones. After this learning process, allow the
        students to create their own composition of ribbons on a 5x8 area.
        (Colored pencil takes a long time). Another project involves flower
        petals and their shadows and highlignts. This also works on colored
        paper. Lay down the white first then color on top of the white for
        vibrant hues on a dark background.

        Peri Raygor-Yanez
      • Dodi Schwab
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2005
          Cristina Coro <Cristina.Coro@...> wrote I eventually want them to do a simple
          assignment

          Hi Cristina,
          I haven't checked in for quite a while--so this reply is slow in coming. I just finished a colored pencil project with my ninth-grade class. None of them have had art before and many would prefer not to have it now! I adapted this lesson from this website:
          geocities.com/theartkids/
          click on Art Lessons 7-12--I used the lesson called "sphere drawings."
          First I had my class draw 7 circles with a compass on 81/2" x 11" paper. We worked on shading techniques with a regular pencil. Once the composition was good, the circles were redrawn on a new paper. They were asked to choose four analogous colors and shade the spheres with colored pencils. We used really cheap (15 cents a box from Wal-Mart!) pencils. I think the brand was Rose art. We were able to model them a bit with pencil erasers. This project was very hard for my class--but they came out okay. I just put them up in a highly visible hall at school. My class is enjoying all the complements they are getting!
          Dodi