RE: [art_education] Symmetry question

  • kelly taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
      thanks Robin
      how do you introduce the symmetical design that they are filling in the foot with?
      Kelly

      Robin Singer <RSinger@...> wrote:
      Kelly I do a unit on butterflies. We talk about foods that are symmetrical, and the kids trace their opposite foot and then fill it in with a symmetrical design. We go around the room talking about objects that are symmetrical. Robin

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
        I like to tie a positive and negative assignment in with the symmetry lesson
        and have them make a cut out of one sheet of paper while gluing the cut out on
        a larger sheet of paper.
        Side by side they can be quite interesting. You can even use a color's
        complimentary color and tie that lesson in too..
        These are 3rd graders. Brenda

      • bruthrobson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
          Sorry,
          Here is the photo. Hope it works.
          Brenda

        • bruthrobson@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
            Sorry again,
            Here is the photo
            Brenda

          • anna k. ball
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
              I did this project with kindergartners: Blob Creatures.

              It involved primary and secondary colors as well as symmetry.

              Fold a piece of paper in half. Open the paper.
              Paint blobs of primary colors on one half.
              Fold paper and rub to blend paint.
              Open paper. See what astounding creatures appeared. When dry, add details
              with marker and title the work.

              I showed kids butterfly pictures and also talked about faces (yeah, not
              typically symmetrical, but close enough)--eyes on both sides, ears on both
              sides, mouth in the middle etc.

              --anna in the snowless part of south dakota

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
                SOrry, I have now posted 2 photos.
                One is the paper symmetry and the other is Indian Sand Art by 4th graders.
                It is paint onto sand paper with the background left unpainted.
                Hope it helps,
                Brenda

              • kelly taylor
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
                  Hi ALL
                  thank you for all the wonderful ideas, for using symmetry, I was not thinking about how many things are symmetrical. I think that I will use almost every idea that was given. Thank you all
                  KellyTaylor