Re: [art_education] Student with question

  • MaryAnn Faubion Kohl
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      It would be nice of our schools had art education at all. That¹s one place
      to start.

      On 12/1/05 10:45 AM, Sara Towle Towle03@... wrote:

      > I am a university student doing a research project on Funding for arts
      > education. What are your current thoughts on the amount of funds you are
      > allowed for art programs? What would you like to see change? Can anyone
      > help me identify the benefits of having more art in children's youth to help
      > there cognitive development?

      MaryAnn
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        I am a university student doing a research project on Funding for arts
        education. What are your current thoughts on the amount of funds you
        are allowed for art programs?

        The amount of funds for the art programs depends on the school district and
        how much the arts are valued and emphasized (I always felt this to be so
        peculiar...in our society the arts....music, visual, drama, etc. are one of the
        highest paid fields, yet, in the schools they are so far down the totem pole).
        I feel fortunate, for in my district the arts are very much stressed and
        backed (for example art is mandatory for elementary). But when it gets down to
        the nitty gritty (money), it really depends on the principals, how much they
        will allocate to your program. Through my 18 years of teaching art and been
        through 4 different administrations....smooching helps...also being available
        for give and take (for example....what? I'm asked to do that.,..that has
        nothing to do with my curriculum...oh okay....I'll do it....maybe I can get what I
        need for next years budget!) It also helps to be very involved in your
        schools decision making processes. I chair our School Improvement Plan
        committee....which makes major decisions on the directions and funds of our students
        curriculum. I always make sure the Arts are right up there and therefore the
        money is a necessity to follow through on the overall objectives.
        jan