RE: [art_education] Prisma Color assignment

  • Betsy Holster
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
      I have worked extensively with colored pencils. There are 2 basic
      techniques that colored pencil artists use - burnishing, and/or tonal
      application. Another method of using colored pencil is in the creation of a
      grisaille underpainting using the greys that prismacolor provides. Since
      colored pencil is semi-transparent it lends itself sell to the grisailole
      technique. Also, technically, when you use colored pencils in a burnished
      manner it is painting and not drawing because of the way the pigments are
      manipulated. If you want some more information let me know.

      Betsy Holster

      From Betsy Holster

      Art is where you live.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
        Hi Christina Coro,

        Using Colored Pencils

        I have my Art 1 students create designs in our color unit- organic and
        geometric- First they do a color wheel with primary, sec, and interm colors.
        They are told to make the colored pencil look like paint and to use a hand
        sharpener frequently. Then they create organic and geometric designs and
        practice going from light to dark and to make their pencil strokes as even
        as possible. They use the colored pencils to plan a tempera painting which
        introduces the basics to painting flat areas. My Art 2 mix colors and use
        colorless wax pencils which we call blender pencils. My Advanced Art uses
        water color colored pencils to create a base and then do their colored
        pencil on top. I would suggest buying a few books and playing with them
        yourself. That is how I learned to used them.

        _____

        I have worked extensively with colored pencils. There are 2 basic
        techniques that colored pencil artists use - burnishing, and/or tonal
        application. Another method of using colored pencil is in the creation of a

        grisaille underpainting using the greys that prismacolor provides. Since
        colored pencil is semi-transparent it lends itself sell to the grisailole
        technique. Also, technically, when you use colored pencils in a burnished
        manner it is painting and not drawing because of the way the pigments are
        manipulated. If you want some more information let me know.

        Betsy Holster

        From Betsy Holster

        Art is where you live.

[...]

        Fine
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+shipping&w1=Fine+art+shipping&
        w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+ink
        jet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=RXHkxhTGwao90vPy8nbMQA> art
        shipping

        Fine
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w1=Fine+art+sh
        ipping&w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+
        art+inkjet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=b_fxr5HmK4A68-eEE1ZuWw>
        art giclee printing

        Buy
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Buy+fine+art&w1=Fine+art+shipping&w2=Fi
        ne+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+inkjet+p
        aper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=yy9xF4ANDUtPhITyW6_UPQ> fine art

        Art
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+education&w1=Fine+art+shipping&w2=F
        ine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+inkjet+
        paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=p-6EMgRFFwDTOq6kjHiQXw> education

        Fine
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w1=Fine+art+shipp
        ing&w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art
        +inkjet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=a55PRsTRTmI-FgLAyKujVw>
        art inkjet paper

        Fine
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+printing&w1=Fine+art+shipping&
        w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+ink
        jet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=hlqW4zAhSGvZllqoC0pOKA> art
        printing

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "art_education
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education> " on the web.

        _____

      • Peri Raygor-Yanez
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
          I learned from my teacher and was able to share this with my
          students: Snip strands of shiny ribbon. Each person gets three
          prismacolors: a dark and light of one color and a white. Use the
          light color as your medium. Use this rubric: never blend the white
          into the dark color and always hatch in the same direction as the
          flow of the ribbon (never from edge to edge). Blend the dark into
          the medium and the white into the medium. Draw the ribbon showing the
          highlights and shadow tones. After this learning process, allow the
          students to create their own composition of ribbons on a 5x8 area.
          (Colored pencil takes a long time). Another project involves flower
          petals and their shadows and highlignts. This also works on colored
          paper. Lay down the white first then color on top of the white for
          vibrant hues on a dark background.

          Peri Raygor-Yanez
        • Dodi Schwab
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2005
            Cristina Coro <Cristina.Coro@...> wrote I eventually want them to do a simple
            assignment

            Hi Cristina,
            I haven't checked in for quite a while--so this reply is slow in coming. I just finished a colored pencil project with my ninth-grade class. None of them have had art before and many would prefer not to have it now! I adapted this lesson from this website:
            geocities.com/theartkids/
            click on Art Lessons 7-12--I used the lesson called "sphere drawings."
            First I had my class draw 7 circles with a compass on 81/2" x 11" paper. We worked on shading techniques with a regular pencil. Once the composition was good, the circles were redrawn on a new paper. They were asked to choose four analogous colors and shade the spheres with colored pencils. We used really cheap (15 cents a box from Wal-Mart!) pencils. I think the brand was Rose art. We were able to model them a bit with pencil erasers. This project was very hard for my class--but they came out okay. I just put them up in a highly visible hall at school. My class is enjoying all the complements they are getting!
            Dodi