Prisma Color assignment

  • Cristina Coro
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005
      I'm about to start a colored pencil assignment with my Art II class. (High
      School level). Although I've used Prisma Colors before myself and in my
      classroom, I've never really learned how to use them properly. I want to
      teach my students how to use them from the ground up. I thought about
      starting with using just one color to shade shapes etc, then maybe go into
      using two colors, and so on. I eventually want them to do a simple
      assignment (because even though this is an "advanced class", the students in
      it aren't serious about art AT ALL and wouldn't be able to handle something
      too complex), but I want them to do it with a good foundation of how prisma
      colors work.

      Does anyone work with Prisma Colors with high school and if so, do any of
      you have any suggestions on how to introduce them and maybe a simple
      assignment for them to do to practice? Thanks!

      Cristina Coro
      Art Teacher
      San Marcos High School
    • Kristina
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005
        > Does anyone work with Prisma Colors with high school and if so, do any of
        > you have any suggestions on how to introduce them and maybe a simple
        > assignment for them to do to practice? Thanks!

        I have used PC pencils for about 15 years ... I start a new chapt of my life
        in January as a high school art teacher.

        It is in my plans to also teach facility with this material...ask it is a
        common material they might keep with them for life. I will only have them
        for 6 months of thier artful lives and I want to equip them so they can feel
        comfortable with thier abilities to draw in a decorated
        journal)...recording life. We have 85 min a day 3x a week. This is only one
        area of art/matrls I will offer experiences in.

        Anyway in the ART 1 & II classes I had thot to do a color wheel study (2
        birds 1 stone) after the lesson I saw here or on the IAD...where the color
        wheel is organic shapes in concentric circles of value...sort of mandala
        like composition?...keeping the overall size 11x 14 or less...as anything
        bigger gets into a difficult time keeping an even tone in large fields of
        solid color/tone...and uses up the pencils like crazy.

        This would be a project to show layering and the building up of the pc
        pencil medium, for color mixing, tone and value.

        I have planned to let them pick a shape...a template...like a feather, or
        simple leaf or anything we can come up with that is long ish in shape, pop
        bottle...some image they find relevant

        Kristina
      • Betsy Holster
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2005
          I have worked extensively with colored pencils. There are 2 basic
          techniques that colored pencil artists use - burnishing, and/or tonal
          application. Another method of using colored pencil is in the creation of a
          grisaille underpainting using the greys that prismacolor provides. Since
          colored pencil is semi-transparent it lends itself sell to the grisailole
          technique. Also, technically, when you use colored pencils in a burnished
          manner it is painting and not drawing because of the way the pigments are
          manipulated. If you want some more information let me know.

          Betsy Holster

          From Betsy Holster

          Art is where you live.

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Margaret Barton
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2005
            Hi Christina Coro,

            Using Colored Pencils

            I have my Art 1 students create designs in our color unit- organic and
            geometric- First they do a color wheel with primary, sec, and interm colors.
            They are told to make the colored pencil look like paint and to use a hand
            sharpener frequently. Then they create organic and geometric designs and
            practice going from light to dark and to make their pencil strokes as even
            as possible. They use the colored pencils to plan a tempera painting which
            introduces the basics to painting flat areas. My Art 2 mix colors and use
            colorless wax pencils which we call blender pencils. My Advanced Art uses
            water color colored pencils to create a base and then do their colored
            pencil on top. I would suggest buying a few books and playing with them
            yourself. That is how I learned to used them.

            _____

            I have worked extensively with colored pencils. There are 2 basic
            techniques that colored pencil artists use - burnishing, and/or tonal
            application. Another method of using colored pencil is in the creation of a

            grisaille underpainting using the greys that prismacolor provides. Since
            colored pencil is semi-transparent it lends itself sell to the grisailole
            technique. Also, technically, when you use colored pencils in a burnished
            manner it is painting and not drawing because of the way the pigments are
            manipulated. If you want some more information let me know.

            Betsy Holster

            From Betsy Holster

            Art is where you live.

[...]

            Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+shipping&w1=Fine+art+shipping&
            w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+ink
            jet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=RXHkxhTGwao90vPy8nbMQA> art
            shipping

            Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w1=Fine+art+sh
            ipping&w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+
            art+inkjet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=b_fxr5HmK4A68-eEE1ZuWw>
            art giclee printing

            Buy
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Buy+fine+art&w1=Fine+art+shipping&w2=Fi
            ne+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+inkjet+p
            aper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=yy9xF4ANDUtPhITyW6_UPQ> fine art

            Art
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+education&w1=Fine+art+shipping&w2=F
            ine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+inkjet+
            paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=p-6EMgRFFwDTOq6kjHiQXw> education

            Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w1=Fine+art+shipp
            ing&w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art
            +inkjet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=a55PRsTRTmI-FgLAyKujVw>
            art inkjet paper

            Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+printing&w1=Fine+art+shipping&
            w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Buy+fine+art&w4=Art+education&w5=Fine+art+ink
            jet+paper&w6=Fine+art+printing&c=6&s=140&.sig=hlqW4zAhSGvZllqoC0pOKA> art
            printing

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "art_education
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education> " on the web.

            _____

          • Peri Raygor-Yanez
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
              I learned from my teacher and was able to share this with my
              students: Snip strands of shiny ribbon. Each person gets three
              prismacolors: a dark and light of one color and a white. Use the
              light color as your medium. Use this rubric: never blend the white
              into the dark color and always hatch in the same direction as the
              flow of the ribbon (never from edge to edge). Blend the dark into
              the medium and the white into the medium. Draw the ribbon showing the
              highlights and shadow tones. After this learning process, allow the
              students to create their own composition of ribbons on a 5x8 area.
              (Colored pencil takes a long time). Another project involves flower
              petals and their shadows and highlignts. This also works on colored
              paper. Lay down the white first then color on top of the white for
              vibrant hues on a dark background.

              Peri Raygor-Yanez
            • Dodi Schwab
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2005
                Cristina Coro <Cristina.Coro@...> wrote I eventually want them to do a simple
                assignment

                Hi Cristina,
                I haven't checked in for quite a while--so this reply is slow in coming. I just finished a colored pencil project with my ninth-grade class. None of them have had art before and many would prefer not to have it now! I adapted this lesson from this website:
                geocities.com/theartkids/
                click on Art Lessons 7-12--I used the lesson called "sphere drawings."
                First I had my class draw 7 circles with a compass on 81/2" x 11" paper. We worked on shading techniques with a regular pencil. Once the composition was good, the circles were redrawn on a new paper. They were asked to choose four analogous colors and shade the spheres with colored pencils. We used really cheap (15 cents a box from Wal-Mart!) pencils. I think the brand was Rose art. We were able to model them a bit with pencil erasers. This project was very hard for my class--but they came out okay. I just put them up in a highly visible hall at school. My class is enjoying all the complements they are getting!
                Dodi