Make- ups for missed classes-HELP!!!!!!!

  • aj4art
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
      Hi All-
      I'm driving myself insane with make-up projects for students who missed
      class. It's like teaching 2 classes at one time (sometimes even 3!)
      It's so chaotic and the children who missed the class don't get the
      full lesson.I feel I'm "wasting" materials & my energy. What do you do?
      For the past 2 weeks, we've been using clay- and it's very difficult to
      say "no" to a child who wants to do the project but was not in class
      when we did it. Also, yesterday I had students who told me they "don't
      like their sculpture", can I make a new one? I replied that I do not
      have enough clay for students to "waste"-well, I said, to make 2
      projects- how do you handle that situation, too? I have very little
      prep time during the day & no time between my 45 minute classes (once a
      week). I see 700 students in 1 week.I guess I'm getting a little burned
      out- and it's only Nov.! I'd really appreciate any advice!
      Thanks-
      Amy
    • Kiersten M. Bram
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
        Hi Amy - Wow - you are teaching so many students - I'm impressed that you
        work with clay at all because it can be very challenging even in the best
        situations. I would suggest the students who were absent to be partnered
        with another student that has a good grasp on the lesson. I find that
        "process visuals" also help tremendously. Have pictures taken during
        demonstrations and then enlarge the pictures, add short, clear directions
        and post them next to each other as you move on. it's a great way for
        students to refer to the directions and steps involved. Just don't give
        up! :-)

        Cheers, Kiersten

        Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
        Laurel Woods Elementary School
        410-880-5960
        Kiersten_Bram@...
      • henlaojim
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aj4art" <aj4art@y...> wrote:

          > Hi All-
          > I'm driving myself insane with make-up projects for students who
          missed
          > class. It's like teaching 2 classes at one time (sometimes even 3!)
          > It's so chaotic and the children who missed the class don't get the
          > full lesson.I feel I'm "wasting" materials & my energy. What do you
          do?
          > For the past 2 weeks, we've been using clay- and it's very difficult
          > say "no" to a child who wants to do the project but was not in class
          > when we did it. Also, yesterday I had students who told me they
          "don't
          > like their sculpture", can I make a new one? I replied that I do not
          > have enough clay for students to "waste"-well, I said, to make 2
          > projects- how do you handle that situation, too? I have very little
          > prep time during the day & no time between my 45 minute classes
          (once a
          > week). I see 700 students in 1 week.I guess I'm getting a little
          burned
          > out- and it's only Nov.! I'd really appreciate any advice!
          > Thanks-
          > Amy

          I used to have this problem, but I have small classes so I just quit
          teaching class lessons and just took to teaching individuals as they
          show up. It helps in this to have directions on a sheet you can hand
          out. "Hello, how have you been? You still in this class? Oh yes,
          you left off after the artist report so here are your direction on
          making presidential portraits from popsicle sticks....."