Re: [art_education] Technology in the Elementary Art room

  • smjahnle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi Theresa - I love the ceiling-mounted projector that was installed in my
      art room this year. It's connected to my computer, so it projects and enlarges
      my screen on the white board. Websites, artworks, museum sites, interactive
      computer sites and games.... all larger than lifesize! Love it! SandyJ

    • kelly taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
        I have a projector that hooks up to my computer, which
        is great because i can get visuals off websites and
        show them.
        I love it.

        --- theresagillespie <theresagillespie@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all! The art department in my district is up this
        > year for
        > receiving some funds. We need to come up with what
        > we would like or
        > need to have for our program. I'm interested in
        > bringing in more
        > technology into the art classes. I need to develop a
        > wish list and
        > what I would use everything for. So my question is
        > for all of you -
        > what do you have in your class rooms -or use when
        > traveling if you
        > don't have a room - in the technology area? Has
        > anyone used elmos or
        > the computer as a regular part of your classes.
        > Give me any ideas you
        > have. The more information I have the better I can
        > back up my desire
        > to have more technology in my classrooms.
        > Thanks!
        > Theresa

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Leah Korican
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
          do you need a laptop to do this or what? I have a computer and a tv in
          my room but they are not connected...I want to be able to show the kids
          more web images, power point etc. Also I'd like to set up a digital
          photography station and have the students photograph their work and
          keep a digital portfolio (maybe another way to get around the throwing
          away of art!). Does anyone do that?

          thanks,

        • THICKPUP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
            "do you need a laptop to do this or what? I have a computer and a tv in
            my room but they are not connected...I want to be able to show the kids
            more web images, power point etc. "

            I use a LCD projector to show whatever I want, either powerpoint, something
            online,etc. it really is great. Just plug in to the back of your computer..it
            replaces your monitor and projects on the large screen rather than on your
            monitor. It costs about $600.00. Well worth it.
            jan

          • Gray, Ann
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
              I show the kids powerpoint slide presentations or websites all the time on my computer. You just need a USB cable and a port for it that will connect the two. You also have to go into control panel, display settings, and at school I believe that I click on advanced, then display again, then it shows a TV image, and I have to make sure that the button is clicked so that it turns from red to green. I'm at home, and have a much newer computer at school.

              Ann

              ________________________________

              do you need a laptop to do this or what? I have a computer and a tv in
              my room but they are not connected...I want to be able to show the kids
              more web images, power point etc. Also I'd like to set up a digital
              photography station and have the students photograph their work and
              keep a digital portfolio (maybe another way to get around the throwing
              away of art!). Does anyone do that?

              thanks,

              Leah
              On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:52 PM, kelly taylor wrote:

              > I have a projector that hooks up to my computer, which
              > is great because i can get visuals off websites and
              > show them.
              > I love it.
              >

              > --- theresagillespie <theresagillespie@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Hi all! The art department in my district is up this
              > > year for
              > > receiving some funds. We need to come up with what
              > > we would like or
              > > need to have for our program. I'm interested in
              > > bringing in more
              > > technology into the art classes. I need to develop a
              > > wish list and
              > > what I would use everything for. So my question is
              > > for all of you -
              > > what do you have in your class rooms -or use when
              > > traveling if you
              > > don't have a room - in the technology area? Has
              > > anyone used elmos or
              > > the computer as a regular part of your classes.
              > > Give me any ideas you
              > > have. The more information I have the better I can
              > > back up my desire
              > > to have more technology in my classrooms.
              > > Thanks!
              > > Theresa
              > >

              > __________________________________
              > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              > Art education
              > Fine art inkjet paper
              > Fine art printing
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ? Visit your group "art_education" on the web.
              >
              > ? To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              >
              > ? Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              > Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              This email has been inspected by an Anti-SPAM server at Union Public Schools.

            • ebay@billieellisonterry.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                I homeschool, but I use the art lessons from http://www.unitedstreaming.com
                to supplement whatever we are learning. A lot of times of course we just
                sit together and look at books (Pantone's Guide to Color is a favorite!)
                together side by side, but that would be hard to do with multiple students.
                A lot of school systems have access to it. You might check to see if you
                do, or if you can get it for classroom use.

                I also do tests with it. Last week we went to see some of Howard Finster's
                work, and studied folk art and modern art afterwards. I made the quiz on
                United Streaming, inserting some footage they had on modern art, and emailed
                my son the link. He gets to see his grade and rationales for answers as
                soon as he is done.

                He did the test and watched the video, and it emailed the results to me. I
                don't always do tests like that, but its a fun change of pace for him, easy
                for me, and I appreciate his getting to hone computer based test taking
                skills. I love being able to put the videos in with the questions. It can
                turn a quiz into a real learning opportunity.

                Other ways that I use technology include letting him do art in Photoshop,
                and then email it to me in a specific format. He's making some computer
                skins for certain games, but I won't accept those unless he puts them in JPG
                format. The program he uses makes .skm files. He's learned to print screen
                the characters and put them into JPG format using Photoshop.

                Also, Photoshop is great for teaching colors. You can use the color wheel
                and color picker to explain anything about colors! (Especially color
                characteristics of light to contrast it to how color acts in pigment
                combinations.) My son is very 'math' minded, so he really seemed to grasp
                relationships with colors watching their hexadecimal values change.

                His latest project has been a website of his own. Its at
                http://www.axtonsage.com if anyone would like to see some of his computer
                'art.' He's still drawing with a mouse, but Santa is bringing him a
                Graphire pad for Christmas.

                -Kristi Gilleland, mom to Sage, 9

                _____

                do you need a laptop to do this or what? I have a computer and a tv in
                my room but they are not connected...I want to be able to show the kids
                more web images, power point etc. Also I'd like to set up a digital
                photography station and have the students photograph their work and
                keep a digital portfolio (maybe another way to get around the throwing
                away of art!). Does anyone do that?

                thanks,

                Leah
                On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:52 PM, kelly taylor wrote:

                > I have a projector that hooks up to my computer, which
                > is great because i can get visuals off websites and
                > show them.
                > I love it.
                >

                > --- theresagillespie <theresagillespie@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Hi all! The art department in my district is up this
                > > year for
                > > receiving some funds. We need to come up with what
                > > we would like or
                > > need to have for our program. I'm interested in
                > > bringing in more
                > > technology into the art classes. I need to develop a
                > > wish list and
                > > what I would use everything for. So my question is
                > > for all of you -
                > > what do you have in your class rooms -or use when
                > > traveling if you
                > > don't have a room - in the technology area? Has
                > > anyone used elmos or
                > > the computer as a regular part of your classes.
                > > Give me any ideas you
                > > have. The more information I have the better I can
                > > back up my desire
                > > to have more technology in my classrooms.
                > > Thanks!
                > > Theresa
                > >

                > __________________________________
                > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                > Art education
                > Fine art inkjet paper
                > Fine art printing
                >
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > ? Visit your group "art_education" on the web.
                >
                > ? To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                >
                > ? Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                > Service.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                This email has been inspected by an Anti-SPAM server at Union Public
                Schools.

                Art
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+education&w1=Art+education&w2=Fine+
                art+inkjet+paper&w3=Fine+art+printing&c=3&s=69&.sig=ZdYJEiJk-AMTSwx3w3Ctxg>
                education Fine
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w1=Art+education&
                w2=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w3=Fine+art+printing&c=3&s=69&.sig=XkwU1RCU8bbGIVRX
                4FddFA> art inkjet paper Fine
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+printing&w1=Art+education&w2=F
                ine+art+inkjet+paper&w3=Fine+art+printing&c=3&s=69&.sig=V9wL9klveEHy-oP3Gzkt

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "art_education
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education> " on the web.

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                _____

              • kelly taylor
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                  I just have a desk top computer. I will get the
                  information for the projector and post it for you.

                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                • Leah Korican
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                    I think the reason I can't do the cable thing is that my computer and
                    my tv are really far apart so running a cable between them is
                    practically impossible. That's why I thought a laptop would be better.
                    The other thing I'd love to have is a station set up for photographing
                    kids work so that the students could do it themselves and then even
                    post them on the website themselves. Any body doing that?