Technology in the Elementary Art room

  • theresagillespie
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi all! The art department in my district is up this year for
      receiving some funds. We need to come up with what we would like or
      need to have for our program. I'm interested in bringing in more
      technology into the art classes. I need to develop a wish list and
      what I would use everything for. So my question is for all of you -
      what do you have in your class rooms -or use when traveling if you
      don't have a room - in the technology area? Has anyone used elmos or
      the computer as a regular part of your classes. Give me any ideas you
      have. The more information I have the better I can back up my desire
      to have more technology in my classrooms.
      Thanks!
      Theresa
    • smjahnle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
        Hi Theresa - I love the ceiling-mounted projector that was installed in my
        art room this year. It's connected to my computer, so it projects and enlarges
        my screen on the white board. Websites, artworks, museum sites, interactive
        computer sites and games.... all larger than lifesize! Love it! SandyJ

      • kelly taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
          I have a projector that hooks up to my computer, which
          is great because i can get visuals off websites and
          show them.
          I love it.

          --- theresagillespie <theresagillespie@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi all! The art department in my district is up this
          > year for
          > receiving some funds. We need to come up with what
          > we would like or
          > need to have for our program. I'm interested in
          > bringing in more
          > technology into the art classes. I need to develop a
          > wish list and
          > what I would use everything for. So my question is
          > for all of you -
          > what do you have in your class rooms -or use when
          > traveling if you
          > don't have a room - in the technology area? Has
          > anyone used elmos or
          > the computer as a regular part of your classes.
          > Give me any ideas you
          > have. The more information I have the better I can
          > back up my desire
          > to have more technology in my classrooms.
          > Thanks!
          > Theresa

          __________________________________
          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Leah Korican
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
            do you need a laptop to do this or what? I have a computer and a tv in
            my room but they are not connected...I want to be able to show the kids
            more web images, power point etc. Also I'd like to set up a digital
            photography station and have the students photograph their work and
            keep a digital portfolio (maybe another way to get around the throwing
            away of art!). Does anyone do that?

            thanks,

          • THICKPUP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
              "do you need a laptop to do this or what? I have a computer and a tv in
              my room but they are not connected...I want to be able to show the kids
              more web images, power point etc. "

              I use a LCD projector to show whatever I want, either powerpoint, something
              online,etc. it really is great. Just plug in to the back of your computer..it
              replaces your monitor and projects on the large screen rather than on your
              monitor. It costs about $600.00. Well worth it.
              jan

            • Gray, Ann
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                I show the kids powerpoint slide presentations or websites all the time on my computer. You just need a USB cable and a port for it that will connect the two. You also have to go into control panel, display settings, and at school I believe that I click on advanced, then display again, then it shows a TV image, and I have to make sure that the button is clicked so that it turns from red to green. I'm at home, and have a much newer computer at school.

                Ann

                ________________________________

                do you need a laptop to do this or what? I have a computer and a tv in
                my room but they are not connected...I want to be able to show the kids
                more web images, power point etc. Also I'd like to set up a digital
                photography station and have the students photograph their work and
                keep a digital portfolio (maybe another way to get around the throwing
                away of art!). Does anyone do that?

                thanks,

                Leah
                On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:52 PM, kelly taylor wrote:

                > I have a projector that hooks up to my computer, which
                > is great because i can get visuals off websites and
                > show them.
                > I love it.
                >

                > --- theresagillespie <theresagillespie@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > Hi all! The art department in my district is up this
                > > year for
                > > receiving some funds. We need to come up with what
                > > we would like or
                > > need to have for our program. I'm interested in
                > > bringing in more
                > > technology into the art classes. I need to develop a
                > > wish list and
                > > what I would use everything for. So my question is
                > > for all of you -
                > > what do you have in your class rooms -or use when
                > > traveling if you
                > > don't have a room - in the technology area? Has
                > > anyone used elmos or
                > > the computer as a regular part of your classes.
                > > Give me any ideas you
                > > have. The more information I have the better I can
                > > back up my desire
                > > to have more technology in my classrooms.
                > > Thanks!
                > > Theresa
                > >

                > __________________________________
                > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                > Art education
                > Fine art inkjet paper
                > Fine art printing
                >
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >
                > ? Visit your group "art_education" on the web.
                >
                > ? To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                >
                > ? Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                > Service.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                This email has been inspected by an Anti-SPAM server at Union Public Schools.

              • ebay@billieellisonterry.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                  I homeschool, but I use the art lessons from http://www.unitedstreaming.com
                  to supplement whatever we are learning. A lot of times of course we just
                  sit together and look at books (Pantone's Guide to Color is a favorite!)
                  together side by side, but that would be hard to do with multiple students.
                  A lot of school systems have access to it. You might check to see if you
                  do, or if you can get it for classroom use.

                  I also do tests with it. Last week we went to see some of Howard Finster's
                  work, and studied folk art and modern art afterwards. I made the quiz on
                  United Streaming, inserting some footage they had on modern art, and emailed
                  my son the link. He gets to see his grade and rationales for answers as
                  soon as he is done.

                  He did the test and watched the video, and it emailed the results to me. I
                  don't always do tests like that, but its a fun change of pace for him, easy
                  for me, and I appreciate his getting to hone computer based test taking
                  skills. I love being able to put the videos in with the questions. It can
                  turn a quiz into a real learning opportunity.

                  Other ways that I use technology include letting him do art in Photoshop,
                  and then email it to me in a specific format. He's making some computer
                  skins for certain games, but I won't accept those unless he puts them in JPG
                  format. The program he uses makes .skm files. He's learned to print screen
                  the characters and put them into JPG format using Photoshop.

                  Also, Photoshop is great for teaching colors. You can use the color wheel
                  and color picker to explain anything about colors! (Especially color
                  characteristics of light to contrast it to how color acts in pigment
                  combinations.) My son is very 'math' minded, so he really seemed to grasp
                  relationships with colors watching their hexadecimal values change.

                  His latest project has been a website of his own. Its at
                  http://www.axtonsage.com if anyone would like to see some of his computer
                  'art.' He's still drawing with a mouse, but Santa is bringing him a
                  Graphire pad for Christmas.

                  -Kristi Gilleland, mom to Sage, 9

                  _____

                  do you need a laptop to do this or what? I have a computer and a tv in
                  my room but they are not connected...I want to be able to show the kids
                  more web images, power point etc. Also I'd like to set up a digital
                  photography station and have the students photograph their work and
                  keep a digital portfolio (maybe another way to get around the throwing
                  away of art!). Does anyone do that?

                  thanks,

                  Leah
                  On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:52 PM, kelly taylor wrote:

                  > I have a projector that hooks up to my computer, which
                  > is great because i can get visuals off websites and
                  > show them.
                  > I love it.
                  >

                  > --- theresagillespie <theresagillespie@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi all! The art department in my district is up this
                  > > year for
                  > > receiving some funds. We need to come up with what
                  > > we would like or
                  > > need to have for our program. I'm interested in
                  > > bringing in more
                  > > technology into the art classes. I need to develop a
                  > > wish list and
                  > > what I would use everything for. So my question is
                  > > for all of you -
                  > > what do you have in your class rooms -or use when
                  > > traveling if you
                  > > don't have a room - in the technology area? Has
                  > > anyone used elmos or
                  > > the computer as a regular part of your classes.
                  > > Give me any ideas you
                  > > have. The more information I have the better I can
                  > > back up my desire
                  > > to have more technology in my classrooms.
                  > > Thanks!
                  > > Theresa
                  > >

                  > __________________________________
                  > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                  > Art education
                  > Fine art inkjet paper
                  > Fine art printing
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > ? Visit your group "art_education" on the web.
                  >
                  > ? To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  >
                  > ? Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  > Service.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  This email has been inspected by an Anti-SPAM server at Union Public
                  Schools.

                  Art
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+education&w1=Art+education&w2=Fine+
                  art+inkjet+paper&w3=Fine+art+printing&c=3&s=69&.sig=ZdYJEiJk-AMTSwx3w3Ctxg>
                  education Fine
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w1=Art+education&
                  w2=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w3=Fine+art+printing&c=3&s=69&.sig=XkwU1RCU8bbGIVRX
                  4FddFA> art inkjet paper Fine
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+printing&w1=Art+education&w2=F
                  ine+art+inkjet+paper&w3=Fine+art+printing&c=3&s=69&.sig=V9wL9klveEHy-oP3Gzkt

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "art_education
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education> " on the web.

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  _____

                • kelly taylor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                    I just have a desk top computer. I will get the
                    information for the projector and post it for you.

                    http://farechase.yahoo.com
                  • Leah Korican
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                      I think the reason I can't do the cable thing is that my computer and
                      my tv are really far apart so running a cable between them is
                      practically impossible. That's why I thought a laptop would be better.
                      The other thing I'd love to have is a station set up for photographing
                      kids work so that the students could do it themselves and then even
                      post them on the website themselves. Any body doing that?