Re: [art_education] senior high courses

  • Heather Richardson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
      Hi Elise,

      I also teach at a small high school and have been reworking our curriculum with the other Art teacher for several years. We have found that classes focused on a specific media, like Drawing, Painting, Printmaking and Ceramics have been our most successful. They run for a half a year and students are able to really focus. We also feel it gives us an opportunity to get more in depth with one particular subject. We also offer Art I, Art II and Art III which are more survey classes that increase in challenge. The problem we have found with these classes because it is such a small school is that even though the classes have prerequisites, these prerequisites often aren't followed so we may get 5 students in Art III who haven't taken any other art...which is very challenging. This is due to the difficulty of scheduling (or so we've been told) because of the limited offerings or number of times a class is offered and how it fits in the specific schedule. So classes like Ceramics and
      Drawing are very successful because even if students are different levels, the focus is the same and they all work to their own ability. This is a little harder when say in Art III, we expect them to all understand two-point perspective because they studied it in Art I, and we have to teach it all over again because they didn't take Art I. Just my two cents...or maybe more since I've rambled on and on... Hope it helps! Good luck and enjoy the wonderful opportunity to create your curriculum...it's something that we have felt very fortunate to do!

      ~Heather in MA.

      EliseSedlacko <sedlackoe@...> wrote:
      I am the only art teacher at the high school level for a small school district in Pennsylvania. This is my first year and I teach 2-D Art, 3-D Art, Graphic Design, and Advanced Art, but I would like to change that for next year. We don't have the supplies and computer availability for a comprehensive Graphic Design course and the Advanced Art course is year long which the administration would like to change. I can redesign the courses, but I'm looking for advice as to what I should offer. I need to have 4 half-year courses to offer. I was thinking of one of the following: drawing, painting, sculpture, and ceramics and students could take the class more than once to take at an advanced level or 2D Art 1, 2D Art 2, 3D Art 1, and 3D Art 2 where the level 1 classes would provide an overview and level 2 go into more detail. Any suggestions?

      Heather Paquette

      http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/extra/terror/tribute/view.cgi?id=6503

    • Kelli Wilke
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        Hello,
        I am a middle school teacher, but the high school in my district is set up with the following courses: Pencil/Pen & Ink, Color & Design, Ceramics, Watercolor, and Independent art. Freshman can only take P/P&I or Color & Design or Watercolor, ceramics has a prerequisite of one of the previous courses and Independent Art has a prerequisite of two of the three, I think. Seems to work pretty well. Good Luck!

        Kelli Wilke

        Heather Richardson <hmarieart@...> wrote:
[...]

        Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing