Intro and elementary ceramics

  • mikellee31
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hi everyone, I am not new to the list, but I do not know if I have ever formally introduced
      myself. I have been a secondary art teacher for the past 7 years and this year I have
      switched to teaching 1st-5th elementary. I have about 540 students. I see them once a
      week for 1 hour for a total of 25 classes! I was a candidate for National Board Cert. but
      after changing levels I decided that I am pretty much a first year teacher and I needed to
      put that on hold, so I withdrew....

      I have had a lot of trouble with all sorts of things, but right now it is ceramics. I have
      always taught by teaching the vocab, the rules, and the techniques and then allowing
      studio after some planning on the part of the students. Today was my first day trying clay
      with the kids and I tried coil with some classes and pinch pots with some....they all looked
      horrible!! Not in the kids cool type of horrible, but in the completely not getting it at all
      type of horrible!

      I noticed that at the beginning of the year the kids were asking me to make specific thing
      out of clay - like 4th grade wanted to make "turtles" because that is what the previous
      teacher did with 4th grade....and 5th grade wanted to make food. I just don't quite know
      what is the best way to approach teaching this age and I am not feeling too good about
      saying " we are all making dogs" or something like that- However they don't seem to be
      responding too well to open ended assignments. Any advice on how to structure? It seems
      like I am stuck between process and product and lack of time to have enough process to
      develop a product- ha ha! - Any help on or off topic on or off list is welcome.
    • Gray, Ann
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
        I teach 1st thru 5th to 600 students, 40 at a time because I see them every 3 days. Even with that many students, I have found that transformed pinch pots turned into animals work very well. I compare these to ancient civilizations who used similar pots for the burial of ashes and the relics of saints. I have used this with 2nd thru 4th, and of course taught the additive method of attaching clay for the body parts. Coil pots have always worked for me for 5th, but we start with a pinch pot as the base. I found that they were just not up to coiling the bases and having them stay together. I start out with pinch pots in first to lead up to the other years. We have used coil pots, scratched on the outside for texture, as birds nests, and made simple birds to put in them in 2nd, also. On the pots, if the legs are attached underneath rather than along the edges of the pot, they have to be short and fat.

        I'm not sure that this makes sense, but it's 11:00 PM here, and I'm a little groggy. Good luck.

        Ann

        ________________________________

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        This email has been inspected by an Anti-SPAM server at Union Public Schools.

      • Hillmer, Jan
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
          Hi,

          Hi,

          Try to simplify, simplify. Go for simple slab projects; very simple
          pots, etc. Try to limit the subject matter somewhat. Like instead of
          turtles, try sea life or animals... Some variety, but also some
          direction. Plan the project so that you focus on just one or two
          things for each - vocabulary, techniques and subject. Plan carefully,
          too, about building on your students' previous year's learning. Until
          the students get used to you and have you for a few years of skill
          building, it may be a bit of a struggle.

          I certainly don't claim to know lots about ceramics, but having taught
          both HS and elementary students, you do have to simplify the amount of
          info you include in the lessons, especially till they get used to your
          teaching style.

          If you'd like, email me off list and we can share more. I am sure there
          are things that you're doing with your students that are good, good,
          good!

          Jan

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
            Hello,
            Ceramics is tough at the elementary level.
            One lesson that works really well for me is the pinch
            pots the with younger grades but it has to be a step
            by step process with them. You can't show them all
            the steps at once, and then tell them to do it. I
            start by showing them how to wedge the class and then
            let them do it. I will say ok now you wedge it 5
            times. Do then they do that. Once they have done
            that I teach them to roll it into a ball, then they
            roll it into a ball. Then once they are finished i
            tell them to hold the ball in the palm of their hands
            and place their thumbs on top and then push their
            thumbs into the clay to create a hole in the middle of
            the ball. Once they have done that, i them teach them
            to pinch it out. And then we decorate it.
            Each step I show them and then they do it. I break it
            into as small as steps a possible for them. I am not
            a cookie cutter art teacher so this kills me to teach
            like this but for ceramics in works the best. They
            all end up looking different so that makes me feel
            better.
            Good luck
            Kelly

            --- mikellee31 <mikellee31@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone, I am not new to the list, but I do not
            > know if I have ever formally introduced
            > myself. I have been a secondary art teacher for the
            > past 7 years and this year I have
            > switched to teaching 1st-5th elementary. I have
            > about 540 students. I see them once a
            > week for 1 hour for a total of 25 classes! I was a
            > candidate for National Board Cert. but
            > after changing levels I decided that I am pretty
            > much a first year teacher and I needed to
            > put that on hold, so I withdrew....
            >
            > I have had a lot of trouble with all sorts of
            > things, but right now it is ceramics. I have
            > always taught by teaching the vocab, the rules, and
            > the techniques and then allowing
            > studio after some planning on the part of the
            > students. Today was my first day trying clay
            > with the kids and I tried coil with some classes and
            > pinch pots with some....they all looked
            > horrible!! Not in the kids cool type of horrible,
            > but in the completely not getting it at all
            > type of horrible!
            >
            > I noticed that at the beginning of the year the kids
            > were asking me to make specific thing
            > out of clay - like 4th grade wanted to make
            > "turtles" because that is what the previous
            > teacher did with 4th grade....and 5th grade wanted
            > to make food. I just don't quite know
            > what is the best way to approach teaching this age
            > and I am not feeling too good about
            > saying " we are all making dogs" or something like
            > that- However they don't seem to be
            > responding too well to open ended assignments. Any
            > advice on how to structure? It seems
            > like I am stuck between process and product and lack
            > of time to have enough process to
            > develop a product- ha ha! - Any help on or off topic
            > on or off list is welcome.

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mikel Lee
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
              Thank you to everyone who replied to my post! I got
              some really great ideas. For one I learned that I was
              not breaking the pinching of the pots into simple
              enough steps- I was just having them press in their
              thumbs and telling them not to make it too fat.

              I also can't believe that Ann teaches 40 kids at a
              time- WHOA!! I will be tackling the issue again with a
              new group on Monday and I know that I will be better
              equipped because of all of the great advice! - Mikel

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
                I saw a segment on DIY network about pinch pots this week. http://www.diynet.com/ search pinch pot
                DIY people Making Pinch Pots. Susan

              • wymystic
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Hi, Mikelle
                  I wanted to add a few thoughts:
                  Thought ONE
                  When I student taught in high school, my (experienced) supervising
                  teacher let students to make ANY sort of pinch pot. When the pots
                  were bone dry, he showed his students how to make their pot's shape
                  more symetrical, and how to make the walls/base thin enough, by
                  using---> sandpaper!. The process tool SO long -- and I cannot tell
                  you the amount of dust that was generated. The kids couldn't
                  decorate the surface with scriffito, mishima, or texture because
                  most had to sand the outside surface of their pots. Well, perhaps
                  as a reaction to that experience, when I teach pinch pots ...
                  A) To avoid tears, I tell them UP FRONT that we WILL spend 2 days
                  doing NOTHING BUT making pinch pots!
                  B) I tell my students that if they cannot rough out a centered
                  pinch pot with fairly uniform walls and base in about three
                  minutes, then they need to start over because the problems will
                  compound themselves as they continue to work with their pots.

                  EVERYONE gets a ball of clay and access to a spritz water bottle
                  (one bottle for 4 students sitting across from one another) First we
                  insert a thumb and push almost to the bottom. I tell them at this
                  point that clay moves at right angles to the direction in which the
                  force is applied, and I show them how to change their finger
                  positions to create either a ball-ish or a taller pinch pot from
                  the "get-go." Over the course of the two days, they have to try
                  both ...

                  Once we create our pinch pots--or when the timer sounds out in five
                  minutes, which ever comes first--we stop and immediately cut our
                  pinch pots vertically in half with a wire. We want to inspect our
                  walls and base for uniformity, and to see if we made a uniformly and
                  SLIGHTLY thicker shoulder, and retaining rim at the opening. Next,
                  we make notes (drawn diagrams for little folks) in our process
                  journals, put the clay back into a ball, I set the timer and we all
                  proceed to make yet another pinch pot. The second day I let them
                  work at their own pace. If a student has trouble creating a centered
                  opening, I will make up a bunch of balls of clay so the student can
                  practice just THAT part of it over and over till the technique is
                  mastered.

                  I have about 32 minutes of actual teaching time with my kids ....
                  Over the course of these first two days, each child usually makes at
                  least ten basic pinch pots--NONE of which may be kept...PERIOD. This
                  policy truly LEVELS the playing field! The beginning student doesn't
                  feel so vulnerable because they know that EVERYONE's pots will be
                  torn down--and that we will all learn from analyzing both the good,
                  the improving, and the icky pots (though we don't call them that!).
                  Not allowing the first pots to be kept also allows EVERYONE to get
                  the practice we need up front. uring this time, I can catch
                  technical errors and help students adapt BEFORE the incorrect
                  proceedure becomes a habit. The students learn how to keep their
                  clay moistened and conditioned as they go. When they cut their pots
                  down and inspect the insides of their walls and base, students learn
                  what those sneeky air bubbles ("invisible" on the outside) LOOK LIKE
                  when they're hiding inside the walls of their pots. When we've
                  pretty much mastered the technique, I encourage my students to bring
                  someone to the art room (lunch & after school) and teach THEM how to
                  create a pinch pot!

                  Although I've been teaching in middle school for the past seven
                  years, I've successfully taught clay pinch pots to grades 2-12 by
                  this method. We always have a LOT of time to decorate or alter our
                  basic pots because, having had that intense practice in the
                  beginning, the kids form their basic pots very well the first time!
                  They love it--so do I!

                  THOUGHT TWO: I like to have the students make ocarinas from their
                  pinch pots ... There are several ways to do that, but I like to make
                  birds by flattening in one pinch pot. I cannot find the ULR to the
                  site that has these directions right now. If someone wants, I'll
                  post it when I find it.
                  Another way to create an ocarina in animal forms is by joining two
                  pinch pots of similar size. <<http://www.carousel-
                  music.com/nf/ocarinasnf.html>>
                  <<http://www.green.ltd.uk/ocarina>>
                  <<http://www.friendsoffreedom.com/Crafts/Ocarinas/OcarinaPg.html>>

                  Blessings
                  Doree
                  § :~D)>+

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "mikellee31" <mikellee31@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi everyone, I am not new to the list, but I do not know if I have
                  ever formally introduced
                  > myself. I have been a secondary art teacher for the past 7 years
                  and this year I have
                  > switched to teaching 1st-5th elementary. I have about 540
                  students. I see them once a
                  > week for 1 hour for a total of 25 classes! I was a candidate for
                  National Board Cert. but
                  > after changing levels I decided that I am pretty much a first year
                  teacher and I needed to
                  > put that on hold, so I withdrew....
                  >
                  > I have had a lot of trouble with all sorts of things, but right
                  now it is ceramics. I have
                  > always taught by teaching the vocab, the rules, and the techniques
                  and then allowing
                  > studio after some planning on the part of the students. Today was
                  my first day trying clay
                  > with the kids and I tried coil with some classes and pinch pots
                  with some....they all looked
                  > horrible!! Not in the kids cool type of horrible, but in the
                  completely not getting it at all
                  > type of horrible!
                  >
                  > I noticed that at the beginning of the year the kids were asking
                  me to make specific thing
                  > out of clay - like 4th grade wanted to make "turtles" because that
                  is what the previous
                  > teacher did with 4th grade....and 5th grade wanted to make food. I
                  just don't quite know
                  > what is the best way to approach teaching this age and I am not
                  feeling too good about
                  > saying " we are all making dogs" or something like that- However
                  they don't seem to be
                  > responding too well to open ended assignments. Any advice on how
                  to structure? It seems
                  > like I am stuck between process and product and lack of time to
                  have enough process to
                  > develop a product- ha ha! - Any help on or off topic on or off
                  list is welcome.

                • Leah Korican
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 8, 2005
                    this is a great idea!!!!! thank you.

                    leah

                  • bruthrobson@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 9, 2005
                      I would love the url for making the birds with pinch pots if you find it!
                      Spose this would work for air dry clay or sculpey?
                      Brenda

                      Yahoo! Groups Links