Re: [art_education] Digest Number 1053

  • Cristina Coro
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
      Help!!! I am a high school art teacher and I teach a 3D desgin class. We
      have recently done a ceramics lesson and I fired the pieces in our manual
      kin (you know, the ones that require cones?). Even though I have used this
      kiln before, the pieces continue to come out cracked even after letting them
      slowly get to leather hard AND attached parts that the students scored,
      sliped, sealed and smoothed still pop off in the fire. I have a product
      called "Magic Mender" that will help to attach these parts to the pieces and
      I fire them again, but I wish I knew what was causing them to pop off in the
      first place. Could I be firing too long, too hot? I'm currently using an 05
      cone (I thought an 04 cone might be too hot) so should I go down to an 06???
      I have no idea. This is a fairly old kiln and until we get our new high
      school (in two years) I'm stuck with this one. Would love for some of these
      pieces to go to our competition in February but unless I get them fired
      correctly I don't know what to do.

      Thanks in advance for anyone who might help solve this mystery for me!

      Cristina Coro
      Art Teacher
      San Marcos High School

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
        (regarding the clay cracking)
        Cristina -
        it sounds to me like the temperature is raising too quickly. When I fire
        greenware I always start it on low with the lid propped open for a couple
        of hours and plugs opened. This ensures that all the moisture will be
        taken from the clay slowly - if it gets hot too quickly there will be
        stress cracks - especially where pieces have been joined together. After a
        couple of hours then close the lid, leave it on low for 1-2 more hours
        then turn it up gradually. If you are working with any type of vessel be
        sure the students do not leave "puddles" of water inside their item
        because this also weakens the clay and cracks will occur in the middle of
        the bottom.
        Another hint is to place items in the kiln with the heavy side
        up(basically upside down) so it heats more evenly. Good luck - sometimes
        it's hard to figure out firings, but don't give up. :-)
        Kiersten

        Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
        Laurel Woods Elementary School
        410-880-5960
        Kiersten_Bram@...
      • Kelly Taylor
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
          Christina are you letting them cool long enough before opening the kiln?

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina Coro"