Brian Jungen's "Native Masks" - from Nike shoes

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Barbara mentioned Brian Jungen's masks on Art Education list. I was
      intrigued to see what I could find. Masks are made entirely of Nike
      Air Jordans - very interesting.

      Good article from Washington Post:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/23/AR2005102301531.html

      Wow...check these out:
      http://www.secession.at/art/2003_jungen_e.html
      "Brian Jungen's sculptures are among the central artistic
      contributions to current reformulations of ethnological and cultural
      evolutionary perspectives. In this respect, Jungen, who belongs to the
      culture of the Dàne-Zaa Indians (First Nations), does not pursue the
      reanimation of a marginalized (image) language and symbolism. Instead,
      his works show culture as a fusion of cultures, so that the belief in
      an authenticity and a preeminence in terms of both an Indian and a
      dominant Western tradition is called into question. In addition, his
      works emphasize the significance of an aesthetic language as a tool
      for an emancipatory cultural criticism." (quoted from Secession site)

      http://www.newmuseum.org/now_cur_brianjungen.htm

      There is more online....

      Hello my World Art Teacher friends... I haven't posted to this list in
      a while. Luc, if you are still a member, I thought you would enjoy the
      masks.