skeletons in action

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2005
      I did a fun lesson with fourth grades that they loved! We read "the Bones of Fred McFee by
      Eve Bunting, Illustrated by Kurt Cyrus (awesome scratchboard and watercolor). Then I
      showed the kids Ed Emberley's skeleton drawing style and his books. I talked them
      through an example on the board, following Ed's "recipie". I made a point to stop at the
      joints and demonstrate actions before and during the drawing. KIds had photocopied
      skeleton pages at their seats from "Ed Emberley's Halloween Drawing Book". We used
      large black paper and white oil pastels. The criteria was 3 skeletons in action.
      Backgrounds, pets, etc. were added. Really imaginative scenes were developed! The
      lesson was easily finished in 45 minutes with the story and a great introduction for figure
      drawing. Ali