Re: [art_education] teaching origami

  • KATHY TROTT
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2005
      When I taught little ones:), I loved origami and so did they. I found a
      book (which I no longer have) that had pages with fold lines printed on
      it (broken line for mountain folds, dotted lines for valley folds, and
      solid lines for coloring details). The easiest was the standard dog and
      cat with ears that fold down or stick up. There were eyes, nose,
      whiskers, collar, etc drawn on. Even though this wasn't very creative
      it was a good guide for beginners and they could see guidelines to learn
      the folds.
      After they were secure in the folding techniques, we learned with plain
      squares of paper. By then they were confident about folding. One or
      two always stood out and became helpers for their table.
      We ended with "quiet origami". I would show and draw on the overhead,
      a new model with no words. That forced the kids to look carefully and
      copy. It was like a game and they loved it!
      In third grade, we made a haiku book that opened and looked like a
      star. Each page had the line of a haiku that they had written in their
      language class. Third grade is when my state does haiku in LA
      (integration). We, also, made the star books out of paper and used a
      paper clip to keep them open and hung them for holiday ornaments (great
      wish book for what they want for Christmas).
      Hope this helps...Kathy

      >>> hillmjan@... 10/25/05 03:29PM >>>
      Hi Everyone,

      Does anyone have some good tricks to teaching origami to elementary
      age
      children? My kids love it, but I cannot figure out an effective way
      teach it. Thus, I spend the whole class period showing kids 1 and 2
      at
      a time...... Ideas?

      Jan

      Yahoo! Groups Links