Re: [art_education] Paper Quilting

  • Susan Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
    • Tanya Riehle
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
        For what age? I used to do it with my 8th graders every year. I love
        to quilt so I always brought my quilting mags in and talked about how
        quilting is art etc. We then did a "coloring book" page from this
        website:
        http://www.quilt.com/ColoringBook/QuiltColoringBook.html
        It has tons of classic blocks laid out like a quilt so the kids can
        practice and see what. They really liked doing this. We then used
        graph paper to create 1 block, 9x9, 12x12 however you want. Talk about
        shape, pattern, color etc. They then created their block using
        construction paper and then we put them all together and made a sampler
        quilt and hung it up in the show case. It was huge!
        With older kids make homemade paper and cut the blocks out of that and
        use a sewing machine and zig zag stitch them together. These look
        great matted!!!

        Tanya

        On Oct 3, 2005, at 10:21 PM, mattsmompatt wrote:

        > Does anyone have any lesson ideas for paper quilting?
        >
        > BTW - The graffitti lesson looks great! I have been teaching this art
        > form for quite a few years, with a little controversy. I usually
        > handle it by including Keith Haring and the social aspect of art
        > expression. It usually goes smoothly. The web site is a great way to
        > show students the art without endorsing any negative connotations.
        > Well done!
        >
        > Patt
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Susan Michael
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
          Also, look at some African Jazz Quilts by Michael A. Cummings
          http://www.michaelcummings.com/artstore.htm