Paper Quilting

  • mattsmompatt
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      Does anyone have any lesson ideas for paper quilting?

      BTW - The graffitti lesson looks great! I have been teaching this art
      form for quite a few years, with a little controversy. I usually
      handle it by including Keith Haring and the social aspect of art
      expression. It usually goes smoothly. The web site is a great way to
      show students the art without endorsing any negative connotations.
      Well done!

      Patt
    • Susan Michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      • Tanya Riehle
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
          For what age? I used to do it with my 8th graders every year. I love
          to quilt so I always brought my quilting mags in and talked about how
          quilting is art etc. We then did a "coloring book" page from this
          website:
          http://www.quilt.com/ColoringBook/QuiltColoringBook.html
          It has tons of classic blocks laid out like a quilt so the kids can
          practice and see what. They really liked doing this. We then used
          graph paper to create 1 block, 9x9, 12x12 however you want. Talk about
          shape, pattern, color etc. They then created their block using
          construction paper and then we put them all together and made a sampler
          quilt and hung it up in the show case. It was huge!
          With older kids make homemade paper and cut the blocks out of that and
          use a sewing machine and zig zag stitch them together. These look
          great matted!!!

          Tanya

          On Oct 3, 2005, at 10:21 PM, mattsmompatt wrote:

          > Does anyone have any lesson ideas for paper quilting?
          >
          > BTW - The graffitti lesson looks great! I have been teaching this art
          > form for quite a few years, with a little controversy. I usually
          > handle it by including Keith Haring and the social aspect of art
          > expression. It usually goes smoothly. The web site is a great way to
          > show students the art without endorsing any negative connotations.
          > Well done!
          >
          > Patt
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Susan Michael
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
            Also, look at some African Jazz Quilts by Michael A. Cummings
            http://www.michaelcummings.com/artstore.htm