RE: [art_education] Grades and Year groups

  • ebay@billieellisonterry.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
      I'm in Georgia. Our homeschool laws here are great. We homeschool and
      appreciate the freedom. Our public schools have grades 1-12. With
      homeschool in Georgia - it is different in every state - the kids don't have
      to be considered in this grade or another, but to participate with the rest
      of the world in contests and such, most of us assign our child to the grade
      that they would be in if they were in public school. For instance, my child
      is 9 years old, and would be in the 4th grade if he were in public school.

      That is misleading, because he is actually doing high school level work.
      Other than math and Spanish, which he is doing 4th -5th grade level work in,
      most of his work level is more like 8th and 9th grade. He just is where he
      is. Most homeschoolers are like that.

      Some homeschool students take the GED (a high school equivalency exam) when
      they are old enough, but some just take the SAT test and get a homeschool
      diploma. The SAT and college entrance exams are how they determine entrance
      to college for many colleges. I know that locally we have several 15 and 16
      year olds going to Shorter College in Rome that were homeschooled. Most
      kids in public school do not finish until they are 17 or 18. That is not
      true for every child by any means.

      So, it is different for every state. Different states have different
      homeschool rules. Our public education falls under federal mandates though,
      so they all follow the same general course of schooling - and generally
      children finish school at age 17 or 18 after finishing the 12th grade.

      I hope this helps!

      -Kristi Gilleland

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
        We do have several members in the UK. The US is
        similar. However, each state may have slightly
        different requirements. Generally, age groups are as
        follows:

        Kindergarten- Age 5
        1st Grade- Age 6
        2nd Grade- Age 7
        3rd Grade- Age 8
        4th Grade- Age 9
        5th Grade- Age 10
        6th Grade- Age 11
        7th Grade- Age 12
        8th Grade- Age 13
        9th Grade- Age 14
        10th Grade- Age 15
        11th Grade- Age 16
        12th Grade- Age 17

        Typically, the high school senior will turn 18 at some
        point during their senior year.

        Ken