Re: [art_education] BEHAVIOR AND CLEANUP

  • Ainsley Burdell
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      I also have made charts for each class, and used to put star stickers
      whenever I caught students doing the right thing. The trouble is, what
      with managing materials and so on, I could never keep track of where my
      star stickers were and it all felt rather laboured at times, so I sort
      of gave up on it. However, I have a 5/6 class that has trouble managing
      conflict so we spend each art lesson working on a specific social skill
      - I have a pencil attached to the chart and students and teacher aides
      are all encouraged to add tally marks when they see someone practicing
      that skill. The marks are tallied and the 'winning' student gets a prize
      at the end of each lesson. Its early days yet, but it seems to be working.
      I also have a Yr 3 class in the final session after lunch (when they are
      often very hyped up) who can't manage to keep quiet in the introductory
      stage of the lesson and I am tearing my hair out. Every lesson starts on
      a really bad foot and deteriorates from there! I feel like I have
      absolutely tried everything, so any ideas would be really helpful,
      cheers
      Ainsley Burdell
      Primary Arts Teacher
      The Aboriginal and Islander Independent Community School
      Brisbane, Queensland 4101
      AUSTRALIA

      tmwillis72 wrote:

      >One thing I am trying this year is earning open studio time. I made
      >a chart that ison rings. Each class has there own page and we flip
      >it when the new class comes into the room. I carved a paintbrush
      >into and eraser and if the class has worked hard, maintain
      >appropraite volume we get a paintbrush. If they earn 7 they get a
      >day of open studio time that they can work on whatever medium they
      >want. It seems to be working although I am not keeping up on it. I
      >think I will assign a student to be an "art critic" and flip the
      >chart and give us a paintbrush......

    • Act Silly 4 Art
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
        I sympathize with you. Last year, I had the most horrific 5th grade class and much to my absolute horror they have all returned plus 5 more students this year again to Art. After planning all summer how to handle this particular class I came up with a few good solutions that have worked thus far. On Day One of class, I took roll and asked each child to write down his or her parents phone number at home and work. Once I collected all the numbers, I programed my mobile in front of them with each parents number and told my little lovelies that if they should get out of hand I will give them my mobile to call their parents to explain why I had to stop Art. Then I sat there. I didn't talk, I didn't move, I just sat there in at my desk looking at each of them. This lasted for about 5 minutes before one of the girls asked what we were going to do in Art? I replied, Nothing. This confused them for a bit until another girl asked why? Then I replied, that if they wanted me to teach
        them then they would have to show me that they were ready to learn. How? was the next question. So, I explained the rules, my expectations and my contract. I told them that I will not put up with the behavior that I endured last year and that I did not feel it was fair to the students who didn't misbehave that they had to endure rude and disruptive behavior. If they agreed to my conditions then they had a contract to sign and have their parents sign as well. I gave them until the next class to give me back the contracts signed and if it wasn't they were not to come to Art.

        How did this all turn out? Well, I got all the contracts back with signature of parent and child. No complaints from the parents regarding the contract or the rules. The first two weeks, the students did great then on Week 3 the usual troublesome boys started up. I stopped Art, handed the mobile to each child and had them speak to their parent. I then spoke to their parent and sent home a Unconduct Referral. The next time I saw these boys not one of them stepped out of line. They are still behaving nicely and when one of them begins to act up, the others jump on him to stop before I pull out the mobile.

        Oh, one more thing that I've done with this group... because they left my room in such a disasterous state. The rule is that no one can leave unless every table, floor, sink and material is cleaned or put away. The first day that I enforced this rule the students were 10 minutes late for their next class. Luckily, I have a great relationship with my peers who understood and also have the same problems with this group of students. So, when they arrive late to class they were given a firm scolding for being late and were told to come in at Recess to catch up on what they had missed. The next class, they cleaned up 5 minutes before the end of class and have left on time ever since.

        I'm not saying that my solution works for everyone but in my case, it worked for me thanks to support of my Administration, Parents and Peers.

        tmwillis72 wrote:

        >One thing I am trying this year is earning open studio time. I made
        >a chart that ison rings. Each class has there own page and we flip
        >it when the new class comes into the room. I carved a paintbrush
        >into and eraser and if the class has worked hard, maintain
        >appropraite volume we get a paintbrush. If they earn 7 they get a
        >day of open studio time that they can work on whatever medium they
        >want. It seems to be working although I am not keeping up on it. I
        >think I will assign a student to be an "art critic" and flip the
        >chart and give us a paintbrush......

        ---------------------------------

      • Kiersten M. Bram
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
          Hi - I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myslef to the group. I teach
          K-5 in Howard County, Maryland - this is my fifth year as an art teacher.
          I spent twelve years as a freelance graphic designer prior to teaching.
          I'm enjoying the emails so far - lots of good ideas!

          In my school we have a schoolwide behavior plan and it seems to work out
          very well. The students move their "clip" in their main classroom if they
          misbehave anywhere in the school. Their clips always start on super
          behavior and can move to warning, time out, loss of recess, parent call,
          and adminsitative involvement. Related arts teachers give each class
          teacher a slip which has names of studnets who had to move their clip.
          This way studnets know they are accountable for their actions anywhere in
          the entire school - cafeteria, hallway, etc. At the end of the month,
          those who had a specific number of super behavior days can attend a "club
          party". The kids seem to really respond to it.

          - kiersten

          Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
          Laurel Woods Elementary School
          410-880-5960
          Kiersten_Bram@...
        • jscofiel@midtel.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
            hi thanks for your idea, it sounds great.who watches the children if they
            lose recess or who calls the parent if they get moved to those stations.
            Is it the person who coaght the offender or the homeroom teacher?
            jeannie from NY>
            Hi - I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myslef to the group. I teach
            > K-5 in Howard County, Maryland - this is my fifth year as an art teacher.
            > I spent twelve years as a freelance graphic designer prior to teaching.
            > I'm enjoying the emails so far - lots of good ideas!
            >
            > In my school we have a schoolwide behavior plan and it seems to work out
            > very well. The students move their "clip" in their main classroom if they
            > misbehave anywhere in the school. Their clips always start on super
            > behavior and can move to warning, time out, loss of recess, parent call,
            > and adminsitative involvement. Related arts teachers give each class
            > teacher a slip which has names of studnets who had to move their clip.
            > This way studnets know they are accountable for their actions anywhere in
            > the entire school - cafeteria, hallway, etc. At the end of the month,
            > those who had a specific number of super behavior days can attend a "club
            > party". The kids seem to really respond to it.
            >
            > - kiersten

            > Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
            > Laurel Woods Elementary School
            > 410-880-5960
            > Kiersten_Bram@...
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kiersten M. Bram
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
              Hi Jeannie -thanks for the reply. The students who stay in for recess are
              watched by classroom teachers who rotate around - and sometimes other
              staff members will do it. About who calls home- sometimes it's teh related
              arts teacher, sometimes it's the classroom teacher - sometimes both. If
              students are continuously mis behavingin related arts then the related
              arts teacher should call. usually we work it out with the classroom
              teacher and decide. When students don't participate in the club parties
              they usually go into one area of the pod and work with the guidance
              counselor on ways to improve behavior. If they don't make the club three
              months in a row they are assigned a mentor (volunteer teacher to help them
              reach their goals). let me know if you have any more questions - I really
              do believe this program has helped our school tremendously. :-)
              -Kiersten

              We also send home a brochure explaining the school rules and behavior
              policy at the beginning of the year that the parents have to sign and
              return so everyone is aware of how discipline is handled.