Grades and Year groups

  • leathampaul
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi,

      I've been reading the post with interest for the last week or so since
      I joined this group. It seems that most activity is based in the USA -
      I'm in the UK - and I have a question. Could someone explain the Grade
      bandings to me. I'm presuming they are year groups but which year
      group matches which grade? In the UK we start school with Year 1 (age
      5) and work our way up to Year 11 (age 16). Students start senior
      school at Year 7 (age 11). Is it much the same?
    • Gina
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
        In America the grades we have are as follows

        Kindergarten age 5
        1st grade age 6
        2nd grade age 7
        3rd grade age 8
        4th grade age 9
        5th grade age 10
        6th grade age 11
        7th grade age 12
        8th grade age 13
        9th grade age 14
        10th grade age 15
        11th grade age 16
        12th grade (senior here) age 17

        Just so you know K-5 is usually called elementary school
        6-8 middle school and 9-12 high school. But this can vary the school I
        work at is K-8 and it's called elementary school.

        Hope this helps

        how many years of school does your country require?
        On Oct 3, 2005, at 5:10 AM, leathampaul wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I've been reading the post with interest for the last week or so since
        > I joined this group. It seems that most activity is based in the USA -
        > I'm in the UK - and I have a question. Could someone explain the Grade
        > bandings to me. I'm presuming they are year groups but which year
        > group matches which grade? In the UK we start school with Year 1 (age
        > 5) and work our way up to Year 11 (age 16). Students start senior
        > school at Year 7 (age 11). Is it much the same?

        > Fine art shipping
        > Fine art giclee printing
        > Art education
        > Fine art inkjet paper
        > Fine art printing
        > Fine art appraisal
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

        > Service.

      • Carol Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
          What Gina also needs to tell you are a few other details about our
          schools. Most states have a law which requires the children to attend
          school up to the age of 16 and requires so many days/hours of
          attendance. If you do not go to a school, you are homeschooled but
          the child is required to pass a test. There are also religious
          schools that are in direct control of a church or a denomination and
          teach the principles of the faith intertwinned within the
          curriculum.Lately as a result of poor scores on tests of curriculum
          content, children are also required to pass another test, which has
          various names according to the area that you live in.
          In my state of Massachusetts, if a child does not have a good score
          then there will be no diploma awarded from highschool.

          -Carol/joyuzsong
        • ebay@billieellisonterry.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
            I'm in Georgia. Our homeschool laws here are great. We homeschool and
            appreciate the freedom. Our public schools have grades 1-12. With
            homeschool in Georgia - it is different in every state - the kids don't have
            to be considered in this grade or another, but to participate with the rest
            of the world in contests and such, most of us assign our child to the grade
            that they would be in if they were in public school. For instance, my child
            is 9 years old, and would be in the 4th grade if he were in public school.

            That is misleading, because he is actually doing high school level work.
            Other than math and Spanish, which he is doing 4th -5th grade level work in,
            most of his work level is more like 8th and 9th grade. He just is where he
            is. Most homeschoolers are like that.

            Some homeschool students take the GED (a high school equivalency exam) when
            they are old enough, but some just take the SAT test and get a homeschool
            diploma. The SAT and college entrance exams are how they determine entrance
            to college for many colleges. I know that locally we have several 15 and 16
            year olds going to Shorter College in Rome that were homeschooled. Most
            kids in public school do not finish until they are 17 or 18. That is not
            true for every child by any means.

            So, it is different for every state. Different states have different
            homeschool rules. Our public education falls under federal mandates though,
            so they all follow the same general course of schooling - and generally
            children finish school at age 17 or 18 after finishing the 12th grade.

            I hope this helps!

            -Kristi Gilleland

            _____

            I've been reading the post with interest for the last week or so since
            I joined this group. It seems that most activity is based in the USA -
            I'm in the UK - and I have a question. Could someone explain the Grade
            bandings to me. I'm presuming they are year groups but which year
            group matches which grade? In the UK we start school with Year 1 (age
            5) and work our way up to Year 11 (age 16). Students start senior
            school at Year 7 (age 11). Is it much the same?

            Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+shipping&w1=Fine+art+shipping&
            w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Art+education&w4=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w5=Fin
            e+art+printing&w6=Fine+art+appraisal&c=6&s=146&.sig=0-AFFys6Lz_1Jah08BuL6w>
            art shipping Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w1=Fine+art+sh
            ipping&w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Art+education&w4=Fine+art+inkjet+paper
            &w5=Fine+art+printing&w6=Fine+art+appraisal&c=6&s=146&.sig=jMV0Xsu76BWCoTObv
            eNxnA> art giclee printing Art
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Art+education&w1=Fine+art+shipping&w2=F
            ine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Art+education&w4=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w5=Fine+ar
            t+printing&w6=Fine+art+appraisal&c=6&s=146&.sig=nTcbU6Vp6mkcuuzb2giQzw>
            education
            Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w1=Fine+art+shipp
            ing&w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Art+education&w4=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w5
            =Fine+art+printing&w6=Fine+art+appraisal&c=6&s=146&.sig=_hs2nMD9USGdJq68e7f7
            Hg> art inkjet paper Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+printing&w1=Fine+art+shipping&
            w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Art+education&w4=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w5=Fin
            e+art+printing&w6=Fine+art+appraisal&c=6&s=146&.sig=f_16DNMqPWWDcslisMvR3Q>
            art printing Fine
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Fine+art+appraisal&w1=Fine+art+shipping
            &w2=Fine+art+giclee+printing&w3=Art+education&w4=Fine+art+inkjet+paper&w5=Fi
            ne+art+printing&w6=Fine+art+appraisal&c=6&s=146&.sig=19azJqDtccoqHDa9dk-kfA>
            art appraisal

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "art_education
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education> " on the web.

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            _____

          • Ken Rohrer
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
              We do have several members in the UK. The US is
              similar. However, each state may have slightly
              different requirements. Generally, age groups are as
              follows:

              Kindergarten- Age 5
              1st Grade- Age 6
              2nd Grade- Age 7
              3rd Grade- Age 8
              4th Grade- Age 9
              5th Grade- Age 10
              6th Grade- Age 11
              7th Grade- Age 12
              8th Grade- Age 13
              9th Grade- Age 14
              10th Grade- Age 15
              11th Grade- Age 16
              12th Grade- Age 17

              Typically, the high school senior will turn 18 at some
              point during their senior year.

              Ken