Re: Subject: graffiti examples

  • K A
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
      Kris, this is so awesome. Did you encounter any issues with parents or faculty about teaching the kids graffiti designs? And I don't have a color printer to use at school. Have you ever tried it where the kids color it afterwards, or do you use a color printer? Thanks!

      ~ Kathleen

      Here are the graffiti pieces my seventh grade students created using
      the grid system.
      http://www.krisfontes.com/graffiti.htm

    • Kris Fontes
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
        Kathleen,
        Here is my technique.
        1.. Students go to the website http://www.graffiticreator.net and using the font named Old Skool (the bottom one) they create their name. Get them to do one version completely in outline form, then print this one. It will be in black and white.
        2.. Draw a one inch grid over the lettering. I have transparency film that I had printed with a red grid and they taped this to the sheet with their names. I use this for many projects. Kids don't have to make the one inch grid themselves.
        3.. On a large (12x18) sheet of paper they draw a two inch grid. Lots of my seventh graders couldn't do this. I was amazed at how few were able to do it. But we got through it. I made them do it over if they didn't rule correctly.
        4.. I have viewfinders, one inch square cut out of the center of a sheet of computer paper already prepared. They lay the viewfinder over one square on their printed and gridded graffiti name and transfer what they see onto the larger gridded paper. They are enlarging their name 200%.
        5.. When they are finished transferring the letters they outline in Sharpie marker and fill in with colored markers. No color printer used.
        Kris

        Kris, this is so awesome. Did you encounter any issues with parents or faculty about teaching the kids graffiti designs? And I don't have a color printer to use at school. Have you ever tried it where the kids color it afterwards, or do you use a color printer? Thanks!

        ~ Kathleen

        Here are the graffiti pieces my seventh grade students created using
        the grid system.
        http://www.krisfontes.com/graffiti.htm

        Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing Fine art appraisal

      • Laurie Reber
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
          --- Kris Fontes <kfontes2@...> wrote:

          > Kathleen,
          > Here is my technique.
          > 1.. Students go to the website
          > http://www.graffiticreator.net and using the font

          Thanks Kris - great explanation and what a great
          website the graffiti creator is. Having them do the
          grid replication really makes it theirs!

          http://mail.yahoo.com