Cave art

  • Peri Raygor-Yanez
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      I had fun with that bringing in limestone flagstone, bowls of berries,
      flower petals, etc. Students went around the table trying different
      natural media. We pounded left over flowers from the flower arranging
      class (it was a technical school) onto muslin fabric to "paint" and
      stamp designs. You might be interested in a book called NAVAJO AND
      HOPI DYES ISBN 1-883736-08-0. Learn all about how to dye wool from
      natural materials such as yucca.
      We finally took large rolls of brown butcher paper and made our own
      cave drawings with chalks which we hung over very hot windows until our
      window blinds arrived. (90ยบ with 36 hot teenage bodies crammed into a
      room large enough for 24). Later I took bamboo from my garden and we
      made our own Chinese pens and brushes (using chewing gum and unraveled
      rope) and painted pictures of the tops of the bamboo. My husband who
      likes to make and fly model planes told me about silk span. I got a
      roll of that, which the students ironed onto rice paper to make their
      own scrolls. They used hair brushes for that.
      From Arizona,
      Peri
    • Elizabeth Adams Marks
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        Amy,

        Look up Janis Lang. Her recipe for painting with soil is at:

        http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/feature/lewisandclark/soilpaintinstruct.PDF

        Cheers,
        Elizabeth

        Lahr-Well Academy