Cave art

  • aj4art
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30 3:31 AM
      Has anyone done earth pigment paintings for cave art? (mixing dirt
      with glue & water?) Any fun ideas out there? I Love IAD!
      Thanks again-
      Amy
    • Hillmer, Jan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30 4:21 AM
        Just finished a small cave art unit - told a story about how I might
        have found that clay could be hardened (Fire) to make vessels - if I had
        been living during that time. Then I gave the students clay to create
        vessels with additive and subtractive methods of shaping the clay. At
        the same time, I had some old red clay, too hard to use, hardening in
        small chunks. The next class, we talked about ancient drawing, and I
        handed out charcoal sticks (art type) to draw with. Then we repeated
        the drawing using the hardened chunks of red clay. I also had drawings
        of rock art which the children copied in their sketchbook using the red
        clay. Finally, the students went into our courtyard and got a pointed
        piece of gravel to carve a petroglyph/pictograph design into the same
        piece of red clay. They told me that they loved this lesson - "It was
        really fun". 5th grade. My lesson is included with some others here:
        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Samantha-rock.htm#

        Jan

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30 11:12 PM
          I had fun with that bringing in limestone flagstone, bowls of berries,
          flower petals, etc. Students went around the table trying different
          natural media. We pounded left over flowers from the flower arranging
          class (it was a technical school) onto muslin fabric to "paint" and
          stamp designs. You might be interested in a book called NAVAJO AND
          HOPI DYES ISBN 1-883736-08-0. Learn all about how to dye wool from
          natural materials such as yucca.
          We finally took large rolls of brown butcher paper and made our own
          cave drawings with chalks which we hung over very hot windows until our
          window blinds arrived. (90ยบ with 36 hot teenage bodies crammed into a
          room large enough for 24). Later I took bamboo from my garden and we
          made our own Chinese pens and brushes (using chewing gum and unraveled
          rope) and painted pictures of the tops of the bamboo. My husband who
          likes to make and fly model planes told me about silk span. I got a
          roll of that, which the students ironed onto rice paper to make their
          own scrolls. They used hair brushes for that.
          From Arizona,
          Peri
        • Elizabeth Adams Marks
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
            Amy,

            Look up Janis Lang. Her recipe for painting with soil is at:

            http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/feature/lewisandclark/soilpaintinstruct.PDF

            Cheers,
            Elizabeth

            Lahr-Well Academy