pinwheels

  • aj4art
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hi All-
      I'm planning on doing pinwheels with 3-6 for "red Ribbon week"- drug
      free- but I need advise on how to fasten the pinwheel to a dowel and
      what kind of "pin" to use to keep it together. I tried a brass
      fastener, but they don't spin. I'm planning on putting 500 on our
      school lawn in 2 weeks- any suggestions????? Thanks-
      Amy
    • Nancy
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
        Hi,

        I'm not sure what they are called, but I have seen and used for other
        projects a long fairly strong pin that looks like a "T". I think these
        would work well for your project.

        Nancy :-)

        _____

        I'm planning on doing pinwheels with 3-6 for "red Ribbon week"- drug
        free- but I need advise on how to fasten the pinwheel to a dowel and
        what kind of "pin" to use to keep it together. I tried a brass
        fastener, but they don't spin. I'm planning on putting 500 on our
        school lawn in 2 weeks- any suggestions????? Thanks-
        Amy

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "art_education
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education> " on the web.

        _____

      • Kelli Wilke
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
          And along those lines....the large pinwheel my group made sags forward really badly. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated.
          Thanks,
          Kelli

          aj4art <aj4art@...> wrote:
          Hi All-
          I'm planning on doing pinwheels with 3-6 for "red Ribbon week"- drug
          free- but I need advise on how to fasten the pinwheel to a dowel and
          what kind of "pin" to use to keep it together. I tried a brass
          fastener, but they don't spin. I'm planning on putting 500 on our
          school lawn in 2 weeks- any suggestions????? Thanks-
          Amy

          ---------------------------------

        • Kiersten M. Bram
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
            about the pinwheels...

            I know of two ways to fasten - use a 1/2" pushpin through the pin wheel
            and into the erasor of a pencil or attach a bit of erasor (1/8th of a pink
            one) to a dowel with tape and then attach with a pushpin. The eraser on
            the dowel lifts the pinwheel off the surface a bit and makes it easier to
            spin. hope this helps.

            Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
            Laurel Woods Elementary School
            410-880-5960
            Kiersten_Bram@...
          • Laurie Reber
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
              I had a lot of luck fastening about 250 of them like
              this: Get straight pins with a beaded head. Insert
              through the pinwheel points. Depending on the
              dimension of your dowel, for thinner dowels use one
              straw and insert the pin through the top of the straw
              about 1/4 " down from the tip and using a needle nose
              pliers, give the tip of the pin a quick twist around
              the tip of the pliers to make a small loop. This gives
              the pinwheel enough space to still spin freely. Then
              place the straw over the dowel until the pin sits at
              the top of the dowel. Tape the straw to the dowel so
              it won't fly off. If you have dowels too thick for a
              straw, use a straight edge to shave off some of the
              dowel's tip and use a small piece of straw (about 3/4
              inch long) and insert the pin in the same way through
              the tip of the straw 1/4 inch down from top. Place the
              piece of straw on top of the dowel. It should fit
              snugly in the area you shaved off.
              Good luck - it's so much fun watching them spin! The
              kids will love it and your campus will look beautiful!

              --- aj4art <aj4art@...> wrote:

              > but I need advise on how to fasten the
              > pinwheel to a dowel

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Peri Raygor-Yanez
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
                You might try inserting a bead tipped straight pin into a glob of hot
                glue on the end of the dowel. There are two types of hot glue, hot
                melt and cool melt. I would experiment to see which works best.
                Problem with the straight pin is having to bend it back into the glue
                or eraser if you use pencils. Bend it on the end then push it back into
                the surface, or else the pin will fly out while the wheel is spinning.
                And someone could poke themselves with the pin sticking out of the back
                of the dowel.
                Peri