Self portrait lesson plan??

  • jeljohns25
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
      Hi everyone,
      Does anyone have suggestions for a self portrait lesson plan to teach
      ages 6-8yrs old? Eventually we will take their portraits and turn
      them into prints, but I'm not sure how to approach a self portrait
      drawing lesson with this age group.

      Thanks!!

      Jeni
    • Andy DiConti
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
        hi

        i think a good way is to introduce the grid technique; you'll that many of the art teacher on this listserv find much success with this one. students do extremely well as long as the lesson is presented correctly (naturally)...let me know if you would like the details about it but you can visit my results from my website; there's also a short description about the process.

        good luck!
        andy
        http://www.lcusd.net/lchs/adiconti/self-portrait_fall_2004.htm

        Sincerely

        Andy DiConti
        La Canada HS 7/8 Art Teacher
        adiconti@...
        FAX: 818-952-4214
        http://www.lcusd.net/lchs/adiconti/
        >>> tkk@... 09/27/05 5:58 AM >>>
        Hi everyone,
        Does anyone have suggestions for a self portrait lesson plan to teach
        ages 6-8yrs old? Eventually we will take their portraits and turn
        them into prints, but I'm not sure how to approach a self portrait
        drawing lesson with this age group.

        Thanks!!

        Jeni

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        |----------------------------LCUSD-----------------------------|
        This message was sent from La Canada Unified School District
        and scanned for viruses before being sent.
        |----------------------------LCUSD-----------------------------|
        <<<< GWAVASIG >>>>
      • KATHY TROTT
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
          Mirrors are critical to self portraits with young (older, too) students.
          The charm of 6 year old portraits can be diminished by too much
          discussion of proportion, in my opinion. However, after first grade a
          limited discussion of proportion is helpful. As a pre-portrait
          exercise, I have the students use a pencil (to measure the placement of
          eyes, nose, mouth and ears as described in Drawing on the Right Side of
          the Brain by Betty Edwards) with a mirror to create a "crash dummy"
          (that is what they look like). As an introduction with 7 & 8 year olds,
          this creates an awareness of basic proportion. Then, I like to talk my
          students through as we draw together (me on the board, them on their
          paper). Their drawing still retains the wonderful childlike qualities,
          but a new sense of proportion starts to emerge. I don't like to correct
          at this age, just offer new info and let them take what they can
          digest.
          Hope this helps...
          Kathy
          >>> tkk@... 09/27/05 08:58AM >>>
          Hi everyone,
          Does anyone have suggestions for a self portrait lesson plan to teach
          ages 6-8yrs old? Eventually we will take their portraits and turn
          them into prints, but I'm not sure how to approach a self portrait
          drawing lesson with this age group.

          Thanks!!

          Jeni

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Jennifer Blair
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
            I know that self portraits are covered in the book Drawing with Children by Mona Brookes, but I haven't really looked at it. When I have done self portraits with primary aged kids (painting) we have looked at examples of self-portrait and discussed how a self-portrait communicates not just how we look but who we are and how that can be communicated in their portraits.

            This week I will be starting a self portrait collage portrait inspired by Frida Kahlo with a mixed-grade class ( K-6th graders). Most of these kids have experienced collage as sort of free for all, cut-out-pictures-I-like-and-glue-em-down project. I have asked them for their favorite place, animal and things to do so I can begin sorting out images for them, so they don't spend forever looking through magazines. This activity is more directed than I am use to, but the end product should look great and I am hoping they will come away with a new sense of the possibilities of collage.

            Jennifer
            >>> tkk@...<mailto:tkk@...> 09/27/05 08:58AM >>>
            Hi everyone,
            Does anyone have suggestions for a self portrait lesson plan to teach
            ages 6-8yrs old? Eventually we will take their portraits and turn
            them into prints, but I'm not sure how to approach a self portrait
            drawing lesson with this age group.

            Thanks!!

            Jeni

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Gina
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27, 2005
              Hi Jeni,
              I just did this actually and I did Perception portraits and had them
              team up and draw their partners just to get them used to drawing a face
              with features and being able to look at it.
              I haven't scanned them yet but when I do I will forward you a couple.
              The kids had a lot of fun doing this and it was quite pleasant to hear
              them interacting together.
              Gina
              On Sep 27, 2005, at 8:58 AM, jeljohns25 wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              > Does anyone have suggestions for a self portrait lesson plan to teach
              > ages 6-8yrs old?  Eventually we will take their portraits and turn
              > them into prints, but I'm not sure how to approach a self portrait
              > drawing lesson with this age group.
              >
              > Thanks!!
              >
              > Jeni

              > Fine art shipping
              > Fine art giclee printing
              > Art education
              > Fine art inkjet paper
              > Fine art printing
              > Fine art appraisal
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

              > Service.

            • tmwillis72
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
                Gina,
                I would love to see these pictures as well. Would I be able to get
                them as well?

                Thanks,
                Tammy

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Gina <ginayac@c...> wrote:
                > Hi Jeni,
                > I just did this actually and I did Perception portraits and had
                them
                > team up and draw their partners just to get them used to drawing a
                face
                > with features and being able to look at it.
                > I haven't scanned them yet but when I do I will forward you a
                couple.
                > The kids had a lot of fun doing this and it was quite pleasant to
                hear
                > them interacting together.
                > Gina
                > On Sep 27, 2005, at 8:58 AM, jeljohns25 wrote:
                >
                > > Hi everyone,
                > > Does anyone have suggestions for a self portrait lesson plan to
                teach
                > > ages 6-8yrs old?  Eventually we will take their portraits and
                turn
                > > them into prints, but I'm not sure how to approach a self
                portrait
                > > drawing lesson with this age group.
                > >
                > > Thanks!!
                > >
                > > Jeni

                > > Fine art shipping
                > > Fine art giclee printing
                > > Art education
                > > Fine art inkjet paper
                > > Fine art printing
                > > Fine art appraisal
                > >
                > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                > >
                > > ▪  Visit your group "art_education" on the web.
                > >
                > > ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                > >
                > > ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                Terms of

              • bruthrobson@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
                  I heard of a lesson that sounded interesting.
                  Tape a cutout of the child's initial over a mirror and draw in the negative
                  space the parts that show of their face.
                  This was a high school lesson but it sounded interesting.
                  Brenda

                • Gina
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 28, 2005
                    hi i didn't forget about you i just had judy post my images to the
                    website