Re: [art_education] hi --interview online-- asap

  • eggplant49@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
      In a message dated 12/2/2001 3:54:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, tpersis@... writes:

      name:
      Lynn H. Slotkin
      where do you teach:
      Mountainside NJ
      for how long:
      11 years
      and then answer questiosn according to the following paragraph...

      In the course of my research I will attempt to investigate gender over the
      span of the last 25-30 years as it effects/has effected the subject matter of
      student artwork. I will limit the age group of the study by examining grades
      3-6 only. How does boys' vs. girls' artwork currently differ in subject
      matter and use of elements?
      Girls still choose softer interpretations of themes, follow the rules, are (in general) more enthusiastic.How did it differ twenty five years ago? In 11 years, I don't see much of a change. What
      are the similarities of subject matter among girls then, and girls now? If
      there are found changes, what are the determining factors? One way in which I
      will go about researching this topic is to interview art educators who were
      in the field twenty-five to thirty years ago, by developing a questionnaire.
      The questionnaire will contain questions concerning subject matter as well as
      teaching styles and methodologies.

      Hope this helps...I taught K-8 for 9 years...now I am teaching 3-8.

    • tpersis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
        thank you for responding....

        it reinforces the fact that we, including myself need to look at the
        following:
        (which is another part of my paper).....

        :Art educators can decrease the amount of gender biased artwork within their
        classroom in several ways. Pop-culture should be looked at and analyzed
        within the elementary art room in order for students to see gender
        differences. Likewise, critiques should happen as frequently as possible
        whereby girls and boys artwork is equally appreciated for their unique and
        similar qualities. All children should be presented with critical thinking
        activities that may enable them to surpass stereotypical ideas (Tuman,
        Lecture 2001).
      • Judi Vokes
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2001
          -
          hi this is tracy, teaching 3-5, 3 years and conducting online
          interview--
          have already interviewed lots of people, but if you get this email int
          he
          next two days would love answrs to the following questions:

          name:Judith Vokes
          where do you teach: Fort Mill, South Carolina
          for how long:12 years here, 9 in Charleston, SC, 2 in Hamilton Ohio and
          1 in Vermillion, SD and York, SC (25 total)(2 yrs. Elementary, 18 years
          in middle school and 2 years split 5th and high school..presently high
          school)
          and then answer questionS according to the following paragraph...

          I WILL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THIS FOR YOU. SON'T WANT TO GIVE A QUICK
          ANSWER IF IT IS FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES. WILL ANSWER SOON.

          In the course of my research I will attempt to investigate gender over
          the
          span of the last 25-30 years as it effects/has effected the subject
          matter of
          student artwork. I will limit the age group of the study by examining
          grades
          3-6 only. How does boys' vs. girls' artwork currently differ in subject
          matter and use of elements? How did it differ twenty five years ago?
          What
          are the similarities of subject matter among girls then, and girls now?
          If
          there are found changes, what are the determining factors? One way in
          which I
          will go about researching this topic is to interview art educators who
          were
          in the field twenty-five to thirty years ago, by developing a
          questionnaire.
          The questionnaire will contain questions concerning subject matter as
          well as
          teaching styles and methodologies.

          thanks!

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • tpersis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2001
            thank you- your information would be appreciated since most of my interviews
            are form nj and ny area at this point...
            the paper is near completion but i am willing to make corrections and
            adjustments..