packing tape sculptures

  • theresagillespie
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2005
      Hi all! This is my first post - I've been lurking for a little while.
      What a great site! I've been a k-6 art teacher for 11 years and get
      excited all the time when I see new ideas. You all are full of them!
      My first question is about the packing tape sculpture photos that are
      posted. I tried a search of the site to find info on this process, but
      didn't see anything.And I don't see where it would say who posted
      those photos. I'd like any info on this project if anyone has it.
      Thanks a lot!
      Theresa
    • jdecker4art
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 3, 2005
        Hi Theresa,

        Welcome to the list.

        The images in the photos section are from Cynthia McCarthy's students.

        I found the information by entering packing tape sculpture in the
        search. I also was able to find the page on IAD using the Google
        Search on the site:
        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Kris-TapeFigures.htm

        This has been a popular lesson for high school. I saw it first at my
        hubby's school (their work was done before the Arts and Activites
        article came out).

        Have fun with it.

        Judy Decker
      • Jeni Lynn
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 4, 2005
          Hi Judy,

          I'm very interested in the packing tape lessons. I do have a question
          though, that maybe you know the answer to. When wrapping with the tape, how
          is it possible to get the fine details, such as facial features?

          Thanks!

          Jeni

          >From: "jdecker4art" <judy.decker@...>
          >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [art_education] Re: packing tape sculptures - link
          >Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:55:03 -0000
          >
          >Hi Theresa,
          >
          >Welcome to the list.
          >
          >The images in the photos section are from Cynthia McCarthy's students.
          >
          >I found the information by entering packing tape sculpture in the
          >search. I also was able to find the page on IAD using the Google
          >Search on the site:
          >http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Kris-TapeFigures.htm
          >
          >This has been a popular lesson for high school. I saw it first at my
          >hubby's school (their work was done before the Arts and Activites
          >article came out).
          >
          >Have fun with it.
          >
          >Judy Decker

        • Kelli Wilke
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 22, 2009
            Hello everyone,
            I thought I had archived all the emails (from the last 5 years) that gave tips on how to do packing tape sculptures so I could go back and re-read them when I wanted to try them.  However, I can only find one.  So if you have any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it.  Such as....how much tape would one use to do one full body sculpture?  Or  someone once said they do the first layer by wrapping the tape sticky side up and othe peole say they use saran wrap....which would be easier?  Would you recommend using cheap tape or is that a pain?  How would you do the head?  etc.....

            any other info you have would be great!!!  We are starting this after Christmas with my middle school art club.  We plan to do 5 sculptures in groups of 3 people.

            Thanks in advance!
            Kelli in NE

          • Terri Stokes
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 22, 2009
              The website www.tapesculpture.org gives a tutorial and fun examples of what can be done. I printed out examples and showed my students to motivate them in the beginning. I did a sample one of a large doll that i had - ended up putting wings on the baby doll so it looks like a cherub hanging above my desk.(I teach private school high school boys and the tape sculpture project was a hit!) It took about saran wrap,  3 rolls of tape for each human figure. They worked in groups of 5. It was a 2 week project. Starting with wrapping the saran wrap, only 1 layer needed-dont wrap tightly! The begin applying the clear wrapping tape. The thicker more expensive clear wrapping tape makes a more durable form. Also we cut up discarded plastic water bottles into strips to reinforce between the layers for legs and torso, because to make them stand sturdy we found they need this or else the figure would collapse.  We currently have them hanging from the ceiling in the hallway. Have fun!

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 23, 2009
                I did this project with my high school sculpture class...they loved it!!
                I used saran wrap and packing tape...i had kids wrap their different body parts with saran wrap first (this helped ease the packing tape off the body) Then I had the students wrap themselves with packing tape...(sticky side down) not too tight...but not too loose...then we cut them off the body parts and retaped the seam where we cut. For the head, I had student do saran wrap, and we cut breathing holes for nose and mouth...then we taped the head and didn't tape around the nose/mouth...we cut a seam up the back of the head...I would have the kids wear a hat so you don't cut any hair:)  I would say we used a 2-4 rolls for each body...depending on how many times they went around each body part...

                Kerri Gordon
                Art Teacher
                Northwood School
                Minong, WI
                54859
                715-466-2297

                "Believe it or not, I can actually draw"
                -Basquiat

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 23, 2009
                  my high school  just did this project too...students thought about gesture and posture, and looked at the works of mark jenkins, george segal, sandy skoglund, etc. and then created a site-specific installation in the small quad.

                  we used seran wrap and cut the figure off the students with blunt-ended bandage scissors.  i gave students the choice of wrapping their real head or a styrofoam head, but with a real head, i'm right there to make sure the nostrils aren't covered.  be sure to put cotton balls in the ears because it's noisy close to the ears.  i would also suggest that for "private areas" boys work on boys and girls on girls (but nobody seemed to giggle doing this.)

                  we stuffed the figures with newspaper for strength, and many students dressed them

                  :-) julie t.
                  southern california

                • Kelli Wilke
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 23, 2009
                    What great ideas and tips!  Thank you and keep 'em coming if you got 'em!!

                    Kelli in NE

                    my high school  just did this project too...students thought about gesture and posture, and looked at the works of mark jenkins, george segal, sandy skoglund, etc. and then created a site-specific installation in the small quad.

                    we used seran wrap and cut the figure off the students with blunt-ended bandage scissors.  i gave students the choice of wrapping their real head or a styrofoam head, but with a real head, i'm right there to make sure the nostrils aren't covered.  be sure to put cotton balls in the ears because it's noisy close to the ears.  i would also suggest that for "private areas" boys work on boys and girls on girls (but nobody seemed to giggle doing this.)

                    we stuffed the figures with newspaper for strength, and many students dressed them

                    :-) julie t.
                    southern california

                  • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 23, 2009
                      If you could all post some pictures of these - that would be great....!
                      MaryJo  in New Jersey

                      --
                      MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

                    • James Cipalla
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 24, 2009
                        When I have my class do these - the students put something in-between the layers of tape - like thread, pieces of newspaper, tissue paper - we've had all kinds of things work . I'll try to get some pics up.

                        Namaste,

                        Jim Cipalla

                        Art Department Head,Art Teacher,
                        North side Middle School
                        Norfolk,Virginia
                        JCipalla@...

                        Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
                        = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

                        --
                        MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

                        --
                      • julie t.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 24, 2009
                          i just remembered a few more tips--we used plastic gloves from the cafeteria (or custodian) for the hands and if doing a real head, i had 'em wear a "shower cap" (those cheap ones from beauty supply where i bought the styrofoam head).

                          as another suggested, we do separate parts of a body at a time also, cuz it can get tight!  students worked in groups of 4-5 and i was sure to have several bandage scissors on hand to avoiding waiting while wrapped.

                          in the past, we've stuffed the figures with colored tissue paper instead of newspaper.

                          i don't know how to post pics, but i'd emailed the local newspaper about our installation http://www.whittierdailynews.com/education/ci_13794786

                          (if you email me offline, i can attach more photos in an email)

                          :-) julie t.
                          southern california

                        • Linda Miller
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 24, 2009
                            Hi there!!

                            Tape sculptures are really fun and the kids enjoy them!! I've tried
                            both ways of starting - with saran wrap and sticky side up tape. The
                            saran works better just because of the frustration factor of the
                            sticky side up part. I start with the bottom torso/leg pose first,
                            wrap in saran, then at least 3 layers of good, thick, clear packing
                            tape (not the the thin stuff.) Usually the feet and calf area I put
                            more layers depending on how the figure is standing. I squeeze the
                            tape and check for resistance so the thicker it is the better it can
                            stand on its own. It depends on what you are doing with the sculpture
                            as to how many extra layers you will put on the sculpture.

                            Cutting the model out - I found the wrapping paper cutters, a
                            protected blade in a plastic handle, works great vs. the possible
                            clothes cutting of scissors. Get several, especially now with the
                            holidays, because the thicker the layers the harder the cutter has to
                            work, and it is just plastic. For the bottom section I cut down the
                            side of the legs so the re-taping isn't so noticeable and it is easier
                            to get the leg and foot out. For the top section, there are many cuts
                            to be made. I usually start on one side and cut up the side and down
                            the arm to the hand. With the other side, it depends on the pose, but
                            you'll need to get the other arm out. It may be that you can do the
                            same thing or go from the neck hole, down the back of the shoulder,
                            down to the hand. The less cuts the stronger the whole piece is so you
                            will have to play it by ear.

                            The second part would be to saran the top portion of the posed model
                            and repeat the taping. Be careful when you are wrapping with the tape
                            to not make it too tight - it could cut off circulation- and that
                            would be bad. :-) As for the head, I use a styrofoam wig head so I can
                            get a long enough neck to put in the neck hole of the torso section.
                            There's also that suffocation thing that happens when you wrap
                            someone's head so I recommend the wig head.

                            Once you have all your pieces made then you assemble them together. I
                            close the pieces first, usually taking short tape pieces that mate the
                            cut sides together and then I wrap around the whole section to
                            strengthen the sides. You will have to feel the difference when you
                            put these together. Putting the torso with the leg section you will
                            need extra hands to fit the pieces together, use short tape pieces to
                            link them and then wrap, wrap, wrap them together.

                            I've created several with kids for school and at home for Christmas
                            decorations. They are a hoot! I have pictures if you would like to
                            see. The ones I created as outside Christmas decorators lasted fine
                            for several weeks and now they hang in my classroom. They are very
                            durable and the spot lights made them look opalescent. I've even
                            created one for our elementary spring production of Willy Wonka. It
                            became the chocolatized Gustav who we fished out of the chocolate
                            river. I spray painted him brown and it still looks great today!

                            I'm sure you could do different things with them and you'll only be
                            limited by your imagination!

                            Good luck!!

                            Linda
                          • Patti Brigman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 25, 2009
                              As I've read many of these posts on packing tape sculptures, I've gotten the bug to do this.  I've always thought it looked fun, but have never seriously considered doing this project.  How difficult would this be with elementary kids (say...5th grade)?  How much time, overall?  (I see them 45 min., once a week)  And Linda, I'd love to see your pics!

                              Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
                              Patti

                              i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
                              Join me

                            • Wanda
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 25, 2009
                                Couple of questions:

                                1. How long does this take, I have 55 minute classes. Could they finish
                                and arm or leg in on class session if not what do you do?

                                2. How many rolls would it take for "one" regular size head,1 arm,1
                                foot-leg to knee ?

                                My junior high students would love this if it isn't too costly. Thanks,
                                Wanda
                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Linda Miller <elleoz@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > strengthen the sides. You will have to feel the difference when you
                                > put these together. Putting the torso with the leg section you will
                                > need extra hands to fit the pieces together, use short tape pieces to
                                > link them and then wrap, wrap, wrap them together.
                                >
                                > I've created several with kids for school and at home for Christmas
                                > decorations. They are a hoot! I have pictures if you would like to
                                > see. The ones I created as outside Christmas decorators lasted fine
                                > for several weeks and now they hang in my classroom. They are very
                                > durable and the spot lights made them look opalescent. I've even
                                > created one for our elementary spring production of Willy Wonka. It
                                > became the chocolatized Gustav who we fished out of the chocolate
                                > river. I spray painted him brown and it still looks great today!
                                >
                                > I'm sure you could do different things with them and you'll only be

                              • Terri Stokes
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 28, 2009
                                  Arms  & heads go fast. And not as much tape as torso and legs. Feet are done separate .3 rolls of tape per body approximately.

> [...]

                                  > strengthen the sides. You will have to feel the difference when you
                                  > put these together. Putting the torso with the leg section you will
                                  > need extra hands to fit the pieces together, use short tape pieces to
                                  > link them and then wrap, wrap, wrap them together.
                                  >
                                  > I've created several with kids for school and at home for Christmas
                                  > decorations. They are a hoot! I have pictures if you would like to
                                  > see. The ones I created as outside Christmas decorators lasted fine
                                  > for several weeks and now they hang in my classroom. They are very
                                  > durable and the spot lights made them look opalescent. I've even
                                  > created one for our elementary spring production of Willy Wonka. It
                                  > became the chocolatized Gustav who we fished out of the chocolate
                                  > river. I spray painted him brown and it still looks great today!
                                  >
                                  > I'm sure you could do different things with them and you'll only be

                                • Terri Stokes
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 28, 2009
                                    I was thinking it might be possible to turn a tape sculpture into a permanent garden sculpture by applying cement. any takes on this idea?