Re: teacher exhibit

  • LarrySeiler
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31 3:39 PM
      I think of myself as an artist first, educated in abilities and facilities
      to teach/instruct. I took a twelve year break from teaching to paint
      fulltime and develop my career and it was my wife's illness that brought me
      to look back toward the classroom.

      Painting (or art making) is a means of deeper seeing...and from the personal
      experience of the habit of deeper seeing connected to a need to communicate
      visually, expressing creatively comes a natural passion at hand to pass
      along contagiously to students.

      For the past five years I've been planning for an exhibition I am taking
      part in in New York's National Arts Building with my professional
      association members of NAPPAP, (National Academy of Professional Plein Air
      Painters), September 22nd thru October 2nd.

      There is a great deal involved to share with students. The association's
      members each contributing a good chunk of money to advertise in American Art
      Review, Southwest Art magazine...a blurb in Plein Air magazine. Online
      preview exhibitions. Mailings and so forth. All the time an opportunity to
      bring kids along for the ride.

      Last year thru a grant, I purchase a dozen plein air paint boxes, tripods
      and oil paint...and we now are building the interest of students that would
      like themselves the challenge of painting on location.

      I encourage all art teachers to create, exhibit..get filled with passion and
      like a full glass on the move spilling over onto all that are nearby.

      A chance for students to understand the dreams and aspirations, the hopes
      and the drive of an artist first hand. To experience a rejection letter for
      a show...or the exhilaration of acceptance. It most definitely raises the
      confidence level of students that you have something viable and important to
      pass on to them, and seeing the excitement in you demonstrated brings I
      think more integrity to the importance of making art in one's life. We are
      living history...a bridge to the past, the future, the now.

      At the moment is preparations to send three pieces out to New York. The
      building of shipping crates, protective design of framing and work. Its
      exciting stuff...for me and the kids.

      Larry Seiler
      http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

      NAPPAP- http://www.nappap.org/