Help for Hurricane Victims

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      Dear Art Educators,

      Carol posted to ArtsEducators list asking what we can do for hurricane victims.
      Ellen S. posted this to Getty list (email had been sent to her)

      ....the number one need right now is monetary donations, the secondary
      need is volunteers for certain organizations:

      1. American Red Cross- www.redcross.org <http://www.redcross.org>
      Donate at <https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp> or call 1-800
      HELP-NOW. You may also donate by mail at:

      American Red Cross
      P.O. Box 37243
      Washington, D.C. 20013

      You need to specify on the check memo that the money is for hurricane relief.

      Contact your local chapter to see what is else is needed. To find your local
      chapter follow this link- <http://www.redcross.org/where/where.html>
      The Louisville, KY chapter (for those that live in and around here) is
      desperately in need of volunteers that are 18 years or older to take phone
      calls. They are being slammed with phone calls as they are all the call
      center for 135+ local chapters. Phone work would include taking donations
      and sending Red Cross Workers to the appropriate area. You can contact
      Louisville's volunteer office at (502) 561-3601
      Consider arranging a blood drive. Blood collected goes into a national
      database, and while it is not specifically routed for hurricane victims,
      some of it will end up there. Contact your local chapter for more
      information about hosting a blood drive. For the Louisville blood services,
      contact (502) 540-7000. You may also visit the following link to get more
      information about your local chapter's blood collection-
      http://www.redcross.org/where/chapts.asp#bloodregions
      <http://www.redcross.org/where/chapts.asp>
      The American Red Cross does not collect supplies for the relief effort, they
      are only collecting money.

      2. Salvation Army- <http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/>
      Donate at
      <https://secure1.salvationarmy.org/donations.nsf/donate?openform&projectid=U
      SN-hurricane05> or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY or mail a check to:

      Salvation Army
      PO BOX 4857
      JACKSON, MS 39296-4857.

      You need to specify on the check memo that the money is for hurricane relief

      At this point, the salvation army has not yet compiled a list of what the
      needs will be for the hurricane, so it is only accepting monetary donations
      at this point. It will, at some point accept items and this list will be
      posted in the weeks to come on their website. If you, or someone you know
      works for a corporation, they are accepting mass donations of "in-kind"
      items, dial 1-888-363-2769 to help.
      If you are interested in serving as a volunteer for the Salvation Army fill
      out the online form at
      <https://www.saussw.org/crd/dsrreg.nsf/registrationw?OpenForm> or call them
      at 1-800-SAL-ARMY. The Louisville Chapter for the salvation army can be
      called at (502) 583-5391.

      3. Kiwanis International Foundation- <http://kif.kiwanis.org/kif/>

      Donate at <https://ssl.kiwanis.org/ssl/kif/disaster.asp> or call
      1-800-KIWANIS Ext. 156 or mail a check to:

      Kiwanis International Foundation Disaster Relief Fund,
      3636 Woodview Trace,
      Indianapolis, Indiana, USA 46268

      Mark in the memo that the money is for hurricane relief.

      4. Please remember that during this time their may be con artists
      impersonating charities and attempting to get your money. It is recommended
      that you never give your credit card number out over the phone to somebody
      that dialed you. Request written information about the charity before giving
      to it. I would highly recommend visiting <http://www.charitynavigator.org/>
      if you have any questions about a charity. All major charities are on their
      website and have been analyzed to determine what percentage of your money
      goes to the actual cause. They can also provide information on which
      charities are the best for a particular donation type, i.e.. disaster
      relief.

      Thanks Carol, I am certain some of our list members' schools and
      communities were affected. If I hear from any of them directly, I will
      let you know. I sent email to Grace Hall - knowing that she would not
      be able to read it. She is further north of area hardest hit (she is
      in St Tammany Parish, Louisiana) - but may be without electricity and
      phone lines.

      Incredible Art Resources