Ceramic Chimes Lesson Idea

  • jdecker4art
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2005
      Dear Art Educators,

      I added an image for a Nature Impressions Wind Chime in the photos
      section. It is in the folder labeled Ceramic Boxes. If we get more
      ceramics ideas shared, I will make a new folder for Ceramics Ideas.

      The idea came from a catalog I receive on Southwest "Native Human"
      Art - mainly Navajo and Pueblo.

      The idea is a disk at the top - this could have a carving in it...
      or maybe even made from the cast of sea shell - whatever.

      Then there are dangling pieces with various leaf impressions.

      You could do the lesson around plants in your area (sort of a
      science integration lesson). I am sure you will get your own ideas
      when you see the image. I don't think it would work with air dry
      clays as the pieces would be too brittle and would break.

      If the top piece was a slight bowl shape, the dangling pieces could
      be fired inside the bowl for easier identifiction. Each dangly could
      have student initials.

      Brenda, is there a teacher at the high school who would fire you
      ceramic pieces? Maybe do real clay with ONE grade level? I know that
      ceramics is now required in Texas beginning with grade 3 (according
      to a list member on ArtsEducators list).

      If you do this lesson, send a sample to Incredible Art Department.

      Cynthia - your chimes are wonderful! Imight grab one of your images
      for the ideas page.