Poetry Ideas - Share with Language Arts

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2005
      Dear Art Educators,

      These two links were posted in Riverdeep Newsletter. They are good
      starters for poems for elementary and middle school.

      TWO POETRY TEMPLATES:
      http://www.berkeleyprep.org/lower/fourth/writing/i_dont_understand.htm

      To ease students back into school and to start them off
      with some fun writing exercises, try these two poetry
      templates. Students will have the chance to explain what
      perplexes them in the "I Don't Understand" poem, then
      communicate to you what they liked best about their last
      year at school in the 2nd poetry template, "My Year in
      Grade..." . Consider illustrating the poems and displaying
      them for Open House night.

      AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL POEM TEMPLATE:
      http://www.berkeleyprep.org/lower/fourth/writing/auto-bio_poem.htm

      Who are your students, each of them, as individuals? Help
      them express themselves with this "I Am ... " poetry template,
      great for a beginning of the school year exercise.

      There are three auto-biographical poem patterns shown. I will add
      these links to the Poetry lesson plan page on Incredible Art
      Department. Please share an example if you do these with your
      students.

      Hope you have a memorable year!

      Open House Note:

      One teacher saves leftover art from the previous year and puts that up
      on the board for parents to see - especially if they are some of the
      projects they will be doing this year. Maybe display some of the my
      year in school poems with those?
      You could even do your own "My year in ____ grade art" poems to display.
      Maybe this year, when you hand back the portfolios at the end of the
      year, have students write their poems to reflect on their work. They
      will take home the work they want.... and what is left will be for you
      to display with their poems. One Art Education list member posted that
      she has students make a collage of unwanted works. Those might be nice
      to display too with their year in review poems. Just a thought.

      To subscribe to Riverdeep Flyer:
      http://pages.info.riverdeep.net/riverdeep/ed/ClassroomFlyerSignup.atl

      Incredible Art Resources