Discipline Lesson Part 2

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 6:48 PM
      Lesson Plan #2

      Teacher: Alyson Jacobson Grade: 4
      Subject: Class Rules Part 2 Time: 10:30-12:30

      MATERIALS NEEDED: Poster board, markers, pencils

      OBJECTIVE: Students will develop classroom expectations

      INTRODUCTION: Now that we understand that we need rules to be happy,
      we're going to create our list of classroom rules together.

      INPUT:
      1. Students brainstorm to compile a list of what kind of classroom
      they want. Teacher writes their ideas on the board (Fun, Safe, Clean,
      Interesting, etc.)
      2. Students imagine what we need to do to have this kind of classroom.
      A. As students make suggestions, teacher will ask which category it
      belongs to and write the suggestions in the appropriate category.
      Class may decide they need to change/add/delete categories during the
      discussion.
      B. Teacher models non-judgmental acceptance of all answers.
      C. Students may combine some suggestions with others later, but write
      down all suggestions at this time.
      3. Study the list of suggested rules.
      A. Combine similar rules.
      B. Change negatively stated rules into positively stated rules, i.e.
      we can change "Don't hit or kick" to "Use appropriate touches at all
      times."
      4. Students will prioritize the rules from most important to least (or
      from deserving harsher discipline to lesser discipline, etc.)

      ACTIVITY:
      1. Students will create posters that show our results from this lesson.
      A. Divide the students into work groups as follows:
      1. Make a movie poster for the story "No Boundaries."
      2. Make a poster to show the consequences of no rules in a poster.
      3. Make a poster to show the reasons why we want rules.
      4. Four groups will each make a poster to list the rules for having a
      fun class, a safe class, a clean class, and an interesting class,
      respectively (the categories the students chose in step 1 of input.)

      CLOSURE/REVIEW:
      1. Each group will display their poster and explain their work.
      2. Groups will hang the posters around the classroom.