Discipline lesson

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 6:46 PM
      All,
      We've been discussing discipline lately and I thought this lesson was
      a good one to introduce discipline and help students take ownership of
      the rules. It is by one of my students:

      Lesson Plan #1

      Teacher: Alyson Jacobson Grade: 4
      Material: Class Rules Part 1 Time: 8:15-10:00AM

      MATERIALS NEEDED: CD of "No Boundaries" from Adventures in Odyssey
      and CD player

      OBJECTIVE: Students will discover why rules are important for a
      classroom and be able to form opinions regarding the necessity of rules.

      INTRODUCTION: Now we are going to talk about one of your favorite
      topics—RULES!

      INPUT:
      1. Ask, "Class, in your own words, what is a "rule?" (Write down what
      the students say.)
      2. Say, "What are your opinions about rules? I don't want you to tell
      me what you think I want to hear. I want to hear what you think about
      rules."
      3. Listen to the story titled, "No Boundaries" from Adventures in Odyssey.

      ACTIVITY:
      1. Students will break into groups of 3-4 to discuss the following
      questions. Teacher will ask a question and allow 3-4 minutes for the
      group to discuss each question.
      2. Roles: a) a president that makes final decisions, b) a discussion
      leader (checker) who makes sure everyone participates and no one makes
      fun of other people's answers, c) a recorder who writes down the main
      ideas of what the group discusses, and d) a reporter who describes the
      group's decisions to the class.
      A. List the characters in the story and rank them from most important
      to least important characters in the story.
      B. Do you, like Timmy, ever wish there were no rules? Describe when
      and why.
      C. Do you agree with the decision of the parents? Explain why you
      agree or disagree.
      D. When there were no rules in the house, describe the changes that
      Timmy went through, and what caused those changes?
      E. Would you like to live in a world with no rules? A home with no
      rules? A school with no rules?
      F. What might happen at school if there were no rules?
      G. What do you think the "theme" or main lesson of this story is?

      CLOSURE/REVIEW:
      1. Reporters from each group will share their ideas with the class.