Re: [art_education] hi --interview online-- asap

  • tpersis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      hi this is tracy, teaching 3-5, 3 years and conducting online interview--
      have already interviewed lots of people, but if you get this email int he
      next two days would love answrs to the following questions:

      name:
      where do you teach:
      for how long:
      and then answer questiosn according to the following paragraph...

      In the course of my research I will attempt to investigate gender over the
      span of the last 25-30 years as it effects/has effected the subject matter of
      student artwork. I will limit the age group of the study by examining grades
      3-6 only. How does boys' vs. girls' artwork currently differ in subject
      matter and use of elements? How did it differ twenty five years ago? What
      are the similarities of subject matter among girls then, and girls now? If
      there are found changes, what are the determining factors? One way in which I
      will go about researching this topic is to interview art educators who were
      in the field twenty-five to thirty years ago, by developing a questionnaire.
      The questionnaire will contain questions concerning subject matter as well as
      teaching styles and methodologies.

      thanks!
    • ARTSWIM@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
        Dear Tracy,
        I have taught art in the same grades, and school system for 26 years. I will
        look at some really old samples and view them and get back to you
      • tpersis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
          thanks that would be helpful....
          also helpful,though time consuming is if you could email pictures of these
          old samples..
          I have had diffiuclty so far obtaining any, since i have done phone
          interviews.....
          thanks for any info/advice...
          tracy
        • eggplant49@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
            In a message dated 12/2/2001 3:54:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, tpersis@... writes:

            name:
            Lynn H. Slotkin
            where do you teach:
            Mountainside NJ
            for how long:
            11 years
            and then answer questiosn according to the following paragraph...

            In the course of my research I will attempt to investigate gender over the
            span of the last 25-30 years as it effects/has effected the subject matter of
            student artwork. I will limit the age group of the study by examining grades
            3-6 only. How does boys' vs. girls' artwork currently differ in subject
            matter and use of elements?
            Girls still choose softer interpretations of themes, follow the rules, are (in general) more enthusiastic.How did it differ twenty five years ago? In 11 years, I don't see much of a change. What
            are the similarities of subject matter among girls then, and girls now? If
            there are found changes, what are the determining factors? One way in which I
            will go about researching this topic is to interview art educators who were
            in the field twenty-five to thirty years ago, by developing a questionnaire.
            The questionnaire will contain questions concerning subject matter as well as
            teaching styles and methodologies.

            Hope this helps...I taught K-8 for 9 years...now I am teaching 3-8.

          • tpersis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
              thank you for responding....

              it reinforces the fact that we, including myself need to look at the
              following:
              (which is another part of my paper).....

              :Art educators can decrease the amount of gender biased artwork within their
              classroom in several ways. Pop-culture should be looked at and analyzed
              within the elementary art room in order for students to see gender
              differences. Likewise, critiques should happen as frequently as possible
              whereby girls and boys artwork is equally appreciated for their unique and
              similar qualities. All children should be presented with critical thinking
              activities that may enable them to surpass stereotypical ideas (Tuman,
              Lecture 2001).
            • Judi Vokes
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2001
                -
                hi this is tracy, teaching 3-5, 3 years and conducting online
                interview--
                have already interviewed lots of people, but if you get this email int
                he
                next two days would love answrs to the following questions:

                name:Judith Vokes
                where do you teach: Fort Mill, South Carolina
                for how long:12 years here, 9 in Charleston, SC, 2 in Hamilton Ohio and
                1 in Vermillion, SD and York, SC (25 total)(2 yrs. Elementary, 18 years
                in middle school and 2 years split 5th and high school..presently high
                school)
                and then answer questionS according to the following paragraph...

                I WILL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THIS FOR YOU. SON'T WANT TO GIVE A QUICK
                ANSWER IF IT IS FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES. WILL ANSWER SOON.

[...]

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • tpersis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2001
                  thank you- your information would be appreciated since most of my interviews
                  are form nj and ny area at this point...
                  the paper is near completion but i am willing to make corrections and
                  adjustments..