Re: Nick Mackman = Aimal sculptures

  • lindwood@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2005
      I am blown away by Nick Mackman's sculptures. They almost breath! The
      body positions he selects for each animal are so amazing, filled with
      tension as if they might spring from my monitor! I can only imagine
      them in real life. Such delicacy and soul in each piece. Wow.
      I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone know how to translate british pounds
      to US dollars? Do you think it could survive shipment to the US? They
      look so real they might have to go through quarantine!

      I am going to use him as an artist to connect to my 5th grade hollow
      clay animals lesson. I have my kids draw an animal from observation, or
      bring in a photo of a pet to draw. THey draw as realistically as
      possible, especially focusing on detail and musculature. Then they lay
      a piece of tracing paper over the top of their drawing and cross section
      it in the way they will build it. For example, which parts could be
      made from pinch pots, coils, slabs, etc. I teach them to use coils to
      build the eyelids, four balls of clay together in a cross formation but
      smoothed into the face on the outside edge of each ball forms an
      "anchor" shaped mouth and nose for animals like dogs, cats, rabbits, and
      so many others that have that little line coming down from the nose and
      then curving out into the lips/mouth. (Hope that made sense in
      translation from visual to oral). We talk about how they can shape the
      pinch pots further in their hands to push out where the thighs are or
      shoulders, or how they can add coils smoothed into their pinch pots to
      build up an area of muscle or a detail. We talk about texturing, and of
      course, the air vents need to be diagramed in their drawing so I am sure
      that they understand their importance and when to add them. (For any
      clay curious types out there who don't build with clay enough to know,
      anything hollow and closed with no air vent will explode in the kiln.)
      We use paper towels to stuff the forms while we build them if necessary.
      Then they cut away an area of the body when the clay begins to stiffen
      enough, pull out the paper towels, and replace the body piece they
      removed to create the opening. I'm always so pleased with the way these
      turn out, and the kids learn so much about hand building in this lesson.
      I can't wait to let them see Nick's work next year. You can see
      examples of this past year's clay animals in our web gallery in 5th
      grade. Follow the directions below to see our gallery if you wish.

      Linda

      Visit our Lower and Middle School Art Gallery Sites:
      www.sjs.org
      Click on Arts, Lower School or Middle School, Gallery
    • Cathey
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2005
        First, Nick is a she! :)

        You can find pound to dollar converters through a Yahoo search, but
        her sculptures run in the $6,000 range. I am currently saving up
        for a marine lizard sculpture--I'm a bit concerned about it making
        it through shipping due to all the fragile pieces, but I am sure a
        more solid piece (like the elephants) would do just fine.

        ~Cathey