Re: Fun First Day Activity - any grade level

  • katday2001
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      >it didn't go over well as some of the kids thought their pictures
      were
      > "ruined" by other students.

      Isn't it weird how activities designed to promote group cohesion
      result in just the opposite? I have put off doing this activity for
      just this reason, but I thought of something while reading.
      First, don't have them put their names on the back.
      Second, before handing out the paper, put 2 marks/dots on each side,
      exactly 2" from the corner, for instance. These are the registration
      marks.
      Third, have the first student draw any kind of line from one mark to
      another, until they have something leading from each dot. Pass around
      the pages, as ususal.
      When you are done, you have a group picture to put on the wall, sort
      of like tiles, if you cut the paper into squares. Part of the group
      activity can be arranging and mounting these on the wall. From the
      first day, they have a public display of art as a class.
      Sound like it could work? Maybe, as a last step, have that student
      work their name into the design.
      Kat
      Nevada, MO.

      -- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, michener64@a... wrote:

      > Judy,
      >
      > How funny! I had just decided last night that I was going to
      do this our
      > first day and push back our lesson plan a week. We've done this
      before, but
      > it didn't go over well as some of the kids thought their pictures
      were
      > "ruined" by other students. But I figure as a first day activity
      it will be easier
      > than later in the year and I can assess the abilities of the
      students I'm not
      > familiar with. Also, I will allow the first student to then add to
      their
      > final picture after it has come back to them.
      >
      > We still have a month. I'll let you all know how it goes. I am
      teaching
      > K and MS this year.
      >
      > Tina
      >
      > Round Robin Drawing - from Nicole Brisco
      >
      > Simple but fun. You can do it from life or give a theme or idea.
      > Everyone gets a sheet of paper and some drawing materials. They
      place
      > their name on the back side.

    • sophybluedagmar
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 16, 2005
        Hi, This sounds like a fun activity and I have a question about it.
        Do you set up a still life or do students draw from their imaginations?
        SBD
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Judy Decker <judy.decker@g...> wrote:
        > Dear Art Educators,
        >
        > Nicole Brisco posted this to AP list - but you could use it with any
        > class - any grade level. (shared here with permission)
        >
        > Round Robin Drawing - from Nicole Brisco
        >
        > Simple but fun. You can do it from life or give a theme or idea.
        > Everyone gets a sheet of paper and some drawing materials. They place
        > their name on the back side.
        >
        > Place students in a circle if possible. Students begin drawing and in
        > about 3-5 minutes they must pass their drawings to the right. This
        > continues until the drawings make it back around. I like to change up the
        > amount of time...this keeps them on their toes and they laugh a lot.
        > Some people like to be consistent and give 5 minutes per pass.
        >
        > At the end post them and have the students select certain ones for the
        > strengths, best composition, best value, most creative, use of color,
        > strongest drawing, best contrast, abstract, etc. You could give
        > awards.
        > It is kind of luck since so many people work on the same work....but it
        > also teaches the students that they can work with, and depend on each
        > other in their class. They tend to find what they are good at and add
        > it to the drawing.
        >
        > What is amazing is that even though all the same students worked on each
        > piece they are all so different. It really gets kids open to the idea
        > of individuality and options.
        > If anyone does this idea, send me a couple of examples of student work
        > to go with the idea on Incredible Art Department.
        >
        > Judy Decker
        > --
        > Incredible Art Department
        > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
        > Incredible Art Resources
      • matt schmitt
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 17, 2005
          Hi All,
          I'm new to the list and lovin' it. I work at the Plains Art Museum in Fargo, ND (yes, I've seen the movie and not all of us talk like that). I recently did this drawing switchero but with Music a la musical chairs. The kids loved it. They worked from memory. It was a fun warm-up for drawing class.
          Best,
          Katie Schmitt

          sophybluedagmar <sophybluedagmar@...> wrote:
          Hi, This sounds like a fun activity and I have a question about it.
          Do you set up a still life or do students draw from their imaginations?
          SBD
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Judy Decker <judy.decker@g...> wrote:
          > Dear Art Educators,
          >
          > Nicole Brisco posted this to AP list - but you could use it with any
          > class - any grade level. (shared here with permission)
          >
          > Round Robin Drawing - from Nicole Brisco
          >
          > Simple but fun. You can do it from life or give a theme or idea.
          > Everyone gets a sheet of paper and some drawing materials. They place
          > their name on the back side.
          >
          > Place students in a circle if possible. Students begin drawing and in
          > about 3-5 minutes they must pass their drawings to the right. This
          > continues until the drawings make it back around. I like to change up the
          > amount of time...this keeps them on their toes and they laugh a lot.
          > Some people like to be consistent and give 5 minutes per pass.
          >
          > At the end post them and have the students select certain ones for the
          > strengths, best composition, best value, most creative, use of color,
          > strongest drawing, best contrast, abstract, etc. You could give
          > awards.
          > It is kind of luck since so many people work on the same work....but it
          > also teaches the students that they can work with, and depend on each
          > other in their class. They tend to find what they are good at and add
          > it to the drawing.
          >
          > What is amazing is that even though all the same students worked on each
          > piece they are all so different. It really gets kids open to the idea
          > of individuality and options.
          > If anyone does this idea, send me a couple of examples of student work
          > to go with the idea on Incredible Art Department.
          >
          > Judy Decker
          > --
          > Incredible Art Department
          > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
          > Incredible Art Resources

          Art education High school Fine art Continuing education Fine art poster Fine art reproductions

        • Michelle Chick
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 18, 2005
            You can also do this with still life or figure drawing but instead of the paper moving the students move around the display or image being drawn. It is great when working on proportions as well as other aspect of the elements and principles. I did this with both middle and high school students they each used a different colored pencil. They were amazing and the students gained a great deal of info from it. A critique without words so to speak.

            Michelle