Re: [art_education] sharing a room

  • Smth06192000@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
      Our division is full of resource itinerants--these are people who come into
      the elementary schools 1 to 3 times a week to teach classes the full time
      teachers (art, music, p.e.,library,and computer) cannot get to due to school
      size and time. In my case, I have an art itinerant twice a week. This person is
      on a cart and shoves it to every classroom. This is just an awful situation.
      What we did is bought very inexpensive plastic shelving from K-Mart. We put
      heavy blocks on the bottoms shelves for weight. This is where work is 3-D work
      is stored. The shelves can be labeled with the class name and grade. They
      don't take up too much space. 2-D work is stored in big cardboard portfolios. In
      Sax, you can find this really long bunjy (sp) cords that will stretch the
      length of an average classroom suspended from the ceiling tile brackets--this
      is good for work that needs to dry. He loads the cart each morning and during
      planning he makes and exchange of materials to get ready for the rest of the
      classes. Organization is the key to making this arrangement work.
      I don't know your floor space situation but look into big Rubbermaid type
      containers to hold art materials.
      I hope this helps.
      Maria

    • Mikel Lee
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
        I shared 3 different rooms with 3 completely different
        teachers for the first four years that I taught! I
        have also been the teacher who had to lose my room so
        that another could use it! I sympathize with you!!

        The most important thing will be that you have you own
        space for your students' art in each classroom. You
        will need it to be a locking space if at all possible
        because that is the only way to guarantee your
        students work will be safe. If you can get a drawer of
        the desk for you own office supplies that is great- it
        will help you feel more ownership of the room!

        You will also have to be vigilant with your own
        students to ensure that they do not plunder the other
        teachers' or kids' stuff because it will most likely
        not be locked up everyday!

        Then you will either have to buy a classroom set of
        the supplies you will need and carry them on a cart,
        in a box, or in a tote- (they all work and they are
        all a pain to lug around!)
        OR the teachers you share with will have to be very
        open with "their" stuff so that you can always find it
        and use it when you need it! The worst thing to a
        traveling teacher is not to have the supplies you need
        when you need them....and sometimes things move around
        when you are sharing and then you are just out of luck
        if you can't find them!

        (If you will be sharing their supplies be sure to
        leave it all clean because that builds resentment
        quickly! )

        Also, you are going to have to give your class extra
        time to clean up at the end so that you can leave the
        room in the exact condition you found it in- and that
        is a great task in itself!

        If you can establish a work area that is out of the
        way in each of the classrooms so that you or the other
        teacher could actually have use of the room during
        your off periods that is a great help- but if you
        can't then there should be a rule that you are not in
        eachothers room during class. If the other teacher
        stays there while you are teaching it could possibly
        undermine what you are trying to achieve. If your are
        a new teacher it will make you feel much better if
        they leave so that you do not have to feel like you
        are student teaching everyday of your life!

        Lastly- speak up right away if there is a problem ...
        even a little one. And talk to the teacher about the
        problems and discomforts you are having and not about
        the teacher to everyone else. That is what caused
        major problems at my last school.... the traveling
        teacher going back and forth and talking about all her
        problems with each of us to the other teachers and not
        a word to us! By the time we learned of our offenses
        we were too mad to care!

        I don't have any suggestions about your water
        situation. :)
        Just choose to have a positive attitude and remember
        that after you survive being a traveling teacher you
        will be able to handle anything else that comes up in
        teaching -piece of cake! - Mikel

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • janahooks
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
          Hello, Y.R.

          > Please send tips on sharing an art classroom. I will
          > share two classrooms, a 2D room (no sink) and a
          > computer lab. I'm interested in negotiating space to
          > store student work,bookbags and personal items
          > (belonging to teacher).

          Up until last year, I always had to share with a music teacher.
          Imagine having to work around a piano. We decided to get rid of the
          teacher desk, and stow our personal stuff in the cabinets that we
          were stuck with whether we liked them or not. As someone else
          mentioned, getting tubs of a uniform size to store her instruments
          and my supplies was helpful, and cut down on the dusting. Don't get
          them too big--too tempting to overload them. Also, if they are a
          reasonable size and stack well...

          If you have suggestions for
          > orgainzing each room and/or preparing for the daily
          > transitions between classrooms (i.e, a type of bag or
          > roller cart that has worked for you, snacks to
          > energize, etc.) that would be appreciated too. Thanks
          > in advance for your assistance

          ...then they are ready to stack and be bungied onto a handcart. I
          had to get a plain ol' hand truck because my cart had to have the
          ability to be yanked up trailor stairs and pulled across unpaved
          terrain in the rain. I don't know if you will have to go outside
          with it, but it's the only way to go if you do. The one I bought
          from a warehouse supply catalog was about $80, carries up to 100lbs,
          and collapses (so I can stick it in the trunk and take it to the
          next school.) As far as snacks go, get a water bottle that has a
          carrying strap on it. Water will help you out far more than any
          snack, in my opinion, although I keep some non-melting chocolate on
          hand for stress. :)

          It really stinks to have to travel. My music teacher and I opted
          several times to cram all of our kids in the same room and team
          teach. That was an absolute blast. :)

          jana