sharing a room

  • Y.R. Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 1:49 AM
      Please send tips on sharing an art classroom. I will
      share two classrooms, a 2D room (no sink) and a
      computer lab. I'm interested in negotiating space to
      store student work,bookbags and personal items
      (belonging to teacher). If you have suggestions for
      orgainzing each room and/or preparing for the daily
      transitions between classrooms (i.e, a type of bag or
      roller cart that has worked for you, snacks to
      energize, etc.) that would be appreciated too. Thanks
      in advance for your assistance

      Y.R. Brown

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Smth06192000@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3 4:30 AM
        Our division is full of resource itinerants--these are people who come into
        the elementary schools 1 to 3 times a week to teach classes the full time
        teachers (art, music, p.e.,library,and computer) cannot get to due to school
        size and time. In my case, I have an art itinerant twice a week. This person is
        on a cart and shoves it to every classroom. This is just an awful situation.
        What we did is bought very inexpensive plastic shelving from K-Mart. We put
        heavy blocks on the bottoms shelves for weight. This is where work is 3-D work
        is stored. The shelves can be labeled with the class name and grade. They
        don't take up too much space. 2-D work is stored in big cardboard portfolios. In
        Sax, you can find this really long bunjy (sp) cords that will stretch the
        length of an average classroom suspended from the ceiling tile brackets--this
        is good for work that needs to dry. He loads the cart each morning and during
        planning he makes and exchange of materials to get ready for the rest of the
        classes. Organization is the key to making this arrangement work.
        I don't know your floor space situation but look into big Rubbermaid type
        containers to hold art materials.
        I hope this helps.
        Maria

      • Mikel Lee
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3 7:11 AM
          I shared 3 different rooms with 3 completely different
          teachers for the first four years that I taught! I
          have also been the teacher who had to lose my room so
          that another could use it! I sympathize with you!!

          The most important thing will be that you have you own
          space for your students' art in each classroom. You
          will need it to be a locking space if at all possible
          because that is the only way to guarantee your
          students work will be safe. If you can get a drawer of
          the desk for you own office supplies that is great- it
          will help you feel more ownership of the room!

          You will also have to be vigilant with your own
          students to ensure that they do not plunder the other
          teachers' or kids' stuff because it will most likely
          not be locked up everyday!

          Then you will either have to buy a classroom set of
          the supplies you will need and carry them on a cart,
          in a box, or in a tote- (they all work and they are
          all a pain to lug around!)
          OR the teachers you share with will have to be very
          open with "their" stuff so that you can always find it
          and use it when you need it! The worst thing to a
          traveling teacher is not to have the supplies you need
          when you need them....and sometimes things move around
          when you are sharing and then you are just out of luck
          if you can't find them!

          (If you will be sharing their supplies be sure to
          leave it all clean because that builds resentment
          quickly! )

          Also, you are going to have to give your class extra
          time to clean up at the end so that you can leave the
          room in the exact condition you found it in- and that
          is a great task in itself!

          If you can establish a work area that is out of the
          way in each of the classrooms so that you or the other
          teacher could actually have use of the room during
          your off periods that is a great help- but if you
          can't then there should be a rule that you are not in
          eachothers room during class. If the other teacher
          stays there while you are teaching it could possibly
          undermine what you are trying to achieve. If your are
          a new teacher it will make you feel much better if
          they leave so that you do not have to feel like you
          are student teaching everyday of your life!

          Lastly- speak up right away if there is a problem ...
          even a little one. And talk to the teacher about the
          problems and discomforts you are having and not about
          the teacher to everyone else. That is what caused
          major problems at my last school.... the traveling
          teacher going back and forth and talking about all her
          problems with each of us to the other teachers and not
          a word to us! By the time we learned of our offenses
          we were too mad to care!

          I don't have any suggestions about your water
          situation. :)
          Just choose to have a positive attitude and remember
          that after you survive being a traveling teacher you
          will be able to handle anything else that comes up in
          teaching -piece of cake! - Mikel

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • janahooks
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3 3:22 PM
            Hello, Y.R.

            > Please send tips on sharing an art classroom. I will
            > share two classrooms, a 2D room (no sink) and a
            > computer lab. I'm interested in negotiating space to
            > store student work,bookbags and personal items
            > (belonging to teacher).

            Up until last year, I always had to share with a music teacher.
            Imagine having to work around a piano. We decided to get rid of the
            teacher desk, and stow our personal stuff in the cabinets that we
            were stuck with whether we liked them or not. As someone else
            mentioned, getting tubs of a uniform size to store her instruments
            and my supplies was helpful, and cut down on the dusting. Don't get
            them too big--too tempting to overload them. Also, if they are a
            reasonable size and stack well...

            If you have suggestions for
            > orgainzing each room and/or preparing for the daily
            > transitions between classrooms (i.e, a type of bag or
            > roller cart that has worked for you, snacks to
            > energize, etc.) that would be appreciated too. Thanks
            > in advance for your assistance

            ...then they are ready to stack and be bungied onto a handcart. I
            had to get a plain ol' hand truck because my cart had to have the
            ability to be yanked up trailor stairs and pulled across unpaved
            terrain in the rain. I don't know if you will have to go outside
            with it, but it's the only way to go if you do. The one I bought
            from a warehouse supply catalog was about $80, carries up to 100lbs,
            and collapses (so I can stick it in the trunk and take it to the
            next school.) As far as snacks go, get a water bottle that has a
            carrying strap on it. Water will help you out far more than any
            snack, in my opinion, although I keep some non-melting chocolate on
            hand for stress. :)

            It really stinks to have to travel. My music teacher and I opted
            several times to cram all of our kids in the same room and team
            teach. That was an absolute blast. :)

            jana