stepping stones

  • Michael Gerrish
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      Kat (others, too)

      The ideas suggested (using Quik-Crete for material and plastic plant pot
      water trays or pizza boxes for forms) are the way to go.

      I have used both successfully with kids as young as 1st graders and they
      work fine. To decorate, I suggest placing objects or shapes

      in the bottom of the form before filling with concrete. This creates a
      3D design when the shapes are removed (use cardboard, scrap foam core,
      etc)

      or designs if left in concrete after curing (using small tiles or
      glass).

      Suggestions:

      1. Secure the designs to the pan bottoms with tacky adhesive or tape
      circles to prevent "wandering"

      2. To assist easy release of completed stepping stone, prep the plastic
      pans with PAM

      or vegetable oil before adding concrete, or line pan with plastic
      wrap

      This is a great way to introduce lessons on positive and negative space
      AND connect the art and science curricula (think about the chemical
      transformation of concrete as it cures and possibly designs
      used.caterpillars to butterflies, tadpoles to frogs, etc or Math (think
      measurement) or many others.

      You will have fun with this.Good luck!

      Michael Gerrish

      Michael Gerrish, Artist and Educator