Re: [art_education] Fun First Day Activity - any grade level

  • michener64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2005
      Judy,

      How funny! I had just decided last night that I was going to do this our
      first day and push back our lesson plan a week. We've done this before, but
      it didn't go over well as some of the kids thought their pictures were
      "ruined" by other students. But I figure as a first day activity it will be easier
      than later in the year and I can assess the abilities of the students I'm not
      familiar with. Also, I will allow the first student to then add to their
      final picture after it has come back to them.

      We still have a month. I'll let you all know how it goes. I am teaching
      K and MS this year.

      Tina

      Round Robin Drawing - from Nicole Brisco

      Simple but fun. You can do it from life or give a theme or idea.
      Everyone gets a sheet of paper and some drawing materials. They place
      their name on the back side.

    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
        Has anyone ever used the Krylon Magnetic Spray Paint? Does it work?
        I want to coat a masonite panel and make it magnetic and then let the kids
        play with magnetic strips to create "Piet Mondrian" designs during free
        time.
        Will it work?
        Cindy
      • Sue Stevens

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2005
            Dear Friends,

            I have used this drawing idea many times. It is great fun to see what
            the children can produce. This is also a great way to have the
            children ready themselves and focus if done when the students arrive in
            the art room. Sometimes we do these drawings based on a particular
            theme of approaching holiday.

            Tina

            On Aug 1, 2005, at 10:41 AM, Judy Decker wrote:

            > Dear Art Educators,
            >
            > Nicole Brisco posted this to AP list - but you could use it with any
            > class - any grade level. (shared here with permission)
            >
            > Round Robin Drawing - from Nicole Brisco
            >
            > Simple but fun. You can do it from life or give a theme or idea.
            > Everyone gets a sheet of paper and some drawing materials. They place
            > their name on the back side.
            >
            > Place students in a circle if possible. Students begin drawing and in
            > about 3-5 minutes they must pass their drawings to the right. This
            > continues until the drawings make it back around. I like to change up
            > the
            > amount of time...this keeps them on their toes and they laugh a lot.
            > Some people like to be consistent and give 5 minutes per pass.
            >
            > At the end post them and have the students select certain ones for the
            > strengths, best composition, best value, most creative, use of color,
            > strongest drawing, best contrast, abstract, etc. You could give
            > awards.
            > It is kind of luck since so many people work on the same work....but it
            > also teaches the students that they can work with, and depend on each
            > other in their class. They tend to find what they are good at and add
            > it to the drawing.
            >
            > What is amazing is that even though all the same students worked on
            > each
            > piece they are all so different. It really gets kids open to the idea
            > of individuality and options.
            > If anyone does this idea, send me a couple of examples of student work
            > to go with the idea on Incredible Art Department.
            >
            > Judy Decker
            > --
            > Incredible Art Department
            > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
            > Incredible Art Resources
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • katday2001
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
              >it didn't go over well as some of the kids thought their pictures
              were
              > "ruined" by other students.

              Isn't it weird how activities designed to promote group cohesion
              result in just the opposite? I have put off doing this activity for
              just this reason, but I thought of something while reading.
              First, don't have them put their names on the back.
              Second, before handing out the paper, put 2 marks/dots on each side,
              exactly 2" from the corner, for instance. These are the registration
              marks.
              Third, have the first student draw any kind of line from one mark to
              another, until they have something leading from each dot. Pass around
              the pages, as ususal.
              When you are done, you have a group picture to put on the wall, sort
              of like tiles, if you cut the paper into squares. Part of the group
              activity can be arranging and mounting these on the wall. From the
              first day, they have a public display of art as a class.
              Sound like it could work? Maybe, as a last step, have that student
              work their name into the design.
              Kat
              Nevada, MO.

              -- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, michener64@a... wrote:

              > Judy,
              >
              > How funny! I had just decided last night that I was going to
              do this our
              > first day and push back our lesson plan a week. We've done this
              before, but
              > it didn't go over well as some of the kids thought their pictures
              were
              > "ruined" by other students. But I figure as a first day activity
              it will be easier
              > than later in the year and I can assess the abilities of the
              students I'm not
              > familiar with. Also, I will allow the first student to then add to
              their
              > final picture after it has come back to them.
              >
              > We still have a month. I'll let you all know how it goes. I am
              teaching
              > K and MS this year.
              >
              > Tina
              >
              > Round Robin Drawing - from Nicole Brisco
              >
              > Simple but fun. You can do it from life or give a theme or idea.
              > Everyone gets a sheet of paper and some drawing materials. They
              place
              > their name on the back side.

            • sophybluedagmar
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 16, 2005
                Hi, This sounds like a fun activity and I have a question about it.
                Do you set up a still life or do students draw from their imaginations?
                SBD
                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Judy Decker <judy.decker@g...> wrote:
                > Dear Art Educators,
                >
                > Nicole Brisco posted this to AP list - but you could use it with any
                > class - any grade level. (shared here with permission)
                >
                > Round Robin Drawing - from Nicole Brisco
                >
                > Simple but fun. You can do it from life or give a theme or idea.
                > Everyone gets a sheet of paper and some drawing materials. They place
                > their name on the back side.
                >
                > Place students in a circle if possible. Students begin drawing and in
                > about 3-5 minutes they must pass their drawings to the right. This
                > continues until the drawings make it back around. I like to change up the
                > amount of time...this keeps them on their toes and they laugh a lot.
                > Some people like to be consistent and give 5 minutes per pass.
                >
                > At the end post them and have the students select certain ones for the
                > strengths, best composition, best value, most creative, use of color,
                > strongest drawing, best contrast, abstract, etc. You could give
                > awards.
                > It is kind of luck since so many people work on the same work....but it
                > also teaches the students that they can work with, and depend on each
                > other in their class. They tend to find what they are good at and add
                > it to the drawing.
                >
                > What is amazing is that even though all the same students worked on each
                > piece they are all so different. It really gets kids open to the idea
                > of individuality and options.
                > If anyone does this idea, send me a couple of examples of student work
                > to go with the idea on Incredible Art Department.
                >
                > Judy Decker
                > --
                > Incredible Art Department
                > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
                > Incredible Art Resources
              • matt schmitt
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 17, 2005
                  Hi All,
                  I'm new to the list and lovin' it. I work at the Plains Art Museum in Fargo, ND (yes, I've seen the movie and not all of us talk like that). I recently did this drawing switchero but with Music a la musical chairs. The kids loved it. They worked from memory. It was a fun warm-up for drawing class.
                  Best,
                  Katie Schmitt

                  sophybluedagmar <sophybluedagmar@...> wrote:
                  Hi, This sounds like a fun activity and I have a question about it.
                  Do you set up a still life or do students draw from their imaginations?
                  SBD
                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Judy Decker <judy.decker@g...> wrote:
                  > Dear Art Educators,
                  >
                  > Nicole Brisco posted this to AP list - but you could use it with any
                  > class - any grade level. (shared here with permission)
                  >
                  > Round Robin Drawing - from Nicole Brisco
                  >
                  > Simple but fun. You can do it from life or give a theme or idea.
                  > Everyone gets a sheet of paper and some drawing materials. They place
                  > their name on the back side.
                  >
                  > Place students in a circle if possible. Students begin drawing and in
                  > about 3-5 minutes they must pass their drawings to the right. This
                  > continues until the drawings make it back around. I like to change up the
                  > amount of time...this keeps them on their toes and they laugh a lot.
                  > Some people like to be consistent and give 5 minutes per pass.
                  >
                  > At the end post them and have the students select certain ones for the
                  > strengths, best composition, best value, most creative, use of color,
                  > strongest drawing, best contrast, abstract, etc. You could give
                  > awards.
                  > It is kind of luck since so many people work on the same work....but it
                  > also teaches the students that they can work with, and depend on each
                  > other in their class. They tend to find what they are good at and add
                  > it to the drawing.
                  >
                  > What is amazing is that even though all the same students worked on each
                  > piece they are all so different. It really gets kids open to the idea
                  > of individuality and options.
                  > If anyone does this idea, send me a couple of examples of student work
                  > to go with the idea on Incredible Art Department.
                  >
                  > Judy Decker
                  > --
                  > Incredible Art Department
                  > http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
                  > Incredible Art Resources

                  Art education High school Fine art Continuing education Fine art poster Fine art reproductions

                • Michelle Chick
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 18, 2005
                    You can also do this with still life or figure drawing but instead of the paper moving the students move around the display or image being drawn. It is great when working on proportions as well as other aspect of the elements and principles. I did this with both middle and high school students they each used a different colored pencil. They were amazing and the students gained a great deal of info from it. A critique without words so to speak.

                    Michelle