Making stepping stones?

  • katday2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      The idea about fixing up the asphalt outside the art room got me
      thinking of my own outside. Before and after every class, I have to
      transport my students to the main building along a dirt and gravel
      path. In wet weather, kids can't help getting wet and muddy, and I
      wonder if anyone has any cheap/free ideas about making stepping stones
      or some kind of walkway as an art project. I can envision kids
      setting a mosaic into a wet concrete form, but I've never worked with
      concrete before. Would this require a concrete-worker parent to help?
      Any weather-resistent ideas are welcome!
      Kat Day
      Nevada, MO
    • Gina
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        Kat,
        Concrete is really easy to use especially if you get the fast drying
        kind I believe Home Depot sells them "Quikcrete".
        They even have molds of a stone like path that you can make and then
        maybe have the kids paint the stones to mimic a mosiac.
        The concrete should run about 6-8 dollars and the fun thing is if you
        have a little left over you can make hand prints or whatever comes to
        mind.
        I mixed my concrete in a wheel barrel so that was it easy to get around
        from one point to the next.
        Hope this helps
        Gina

      • Smth06192000@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          We are putting stepping stones in our school garden for the very reason of
          not getting muddy while walking through the gardens. We will be using those
          inexpensive clear plastic shallow pan things you put under pots so the overflow
          doesn't go all over the place. Quick forming cement product can be mixed
          quickly in buckets and poured into these pans-they dry quickly and then pop them
          right out of the forms. I bought some pans for .89 cents at a discount store
          over the weekend. Hopefully your hardware can give you a deal on the cement.

          Also try small pizza boxes--same idea as above--to get a square stepping
          stones.

          After it is poured student can draw lightly into the stones or place flat
          object into the cement.

          Good luck!
          Maria

        • scott_tompkins@charter.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
            > Hi-- This would be a good service project for high school
            aged students or kids from Special ed/alternative prgrams
            also....local tile layers have tons of scrap/extra goodies
            after jobs.... they may be willing to do an OJT workshop
            for laying tiles, making forms, etc.... Scott