Benefits of teaching clay to children

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2005
      Greetings Kelli,

      It seems to me this question came up last year on Art Education list
      and Getty list.
      Ceramics connects nearly all cultures. It is a great way to teach
      about different cultures - look for similarities - examples of
      cultural sharing of ideas and such.
      You can also teach about archaeology as ceramics have a permanence
      about them. Ceramics is really very affordable 3-D material.

      You might find some words to inspire you in the article by Marvin Bartel:
      http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/clay&kids.htm

      Incredible Art Resources
    • Smth06192000@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2005
        Marvin Bartel is an AWESOME resource--if you e-mail him, he will help you
        with whatever you have questions about. I find it sad that in this day and age
        especially with NCLB we as art teachers still continue to fight for what
        benefits children through art. I will never complain about my budget after
        reading the postings here. I can't imagine having to put a rationale together to
        present ceramics to young people. This is an art form that has been with us
        since the beginning of time. If you have access to an OT/PT in your district
        they can even help you with the aspects of fine motor and brain development.
        Your speech teacher in your district could also help you with speech
        development as children orally respond to the processes as they work with clay. Many
        special education people can help you also. The Internet as we all know is a
        big resource--just time consuming. Good luck!
        Maria