Re: digital cameras

  • lindwood@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18 9:09 AM
      I love my Powershot S60. It has a wideangle lens (you can take a
      picture of your whole class, or a mural easily) and a macro for close
      ups (I use that with my jewelry student's work.) It fits in my purse
      and is very easy to use. You can even buy a cover for it if you want to
      go snorkeling with it! I advise you to buy a second battery, and to buy
      a larger camera card. I agree about using 300 dpi for magazine
      publications and printing. One other thing I like about my Powershot is
      the flash. It lights artwork very evenly, no fadeout at the edges,
      yea!!! I also like it because I have large hands and it doesn't feel
      TOO small in my hands like some do to me. I had a free Sony Mavica to
      use in class but bought my own camera because the Mavica was so big and
      clunky. Haven't looked back. Skin tones look good with the powershot.
      No weird magenta splotches,etc.

      Linda

      Visit our Lower and Middle School Art Gallery Sites:
      www.sjs.org
      Click on Arts, Lower School or Middle School, Gallery
    • Kris Fontes
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
        Canon G-6 is an awesome camera with zoom.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2012
          Oops! I did not read it correctly. I read it upside down. It's a Pentax W90...

          On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Kathy Maloney Johnson <kmaloneyjohnson@...> wrote:
          Check out cameras that will not break the first time they're dropped. I love the one I decided on. It's around 200 dollars. It's waterproof and drop proof and very easy to carry around without the worries of more fragile cameras. Mine is a Pentax 06M.

          On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Diane Gregory <gregory.diane55@...> wrote:

          Hi All,

          I am planning to purchase around ten digital cameras for the art education program at Texas Woman's University.  I have not stayed up to date with camera technology.

          I am interested in getting either some point and shoot digital cameras and/or some digital single lens reflex cameras that have some video capacity.  Does anyone have a recommendation?

          I would like something that is relatively easy to use but has some degree of quality.

          I am in the process of setting up our program so that we can better teach our future art teachers how to integrate technology in the classroom.  We are also getting about ten iPads as well and some lap top Mac computers.  The lap tops will be ordered later this year when Apple releases its new set of computers.

          I would appreciate any advice on digital cameras.

          Thanks so much

          Diane Gregory

          --
          Kathy Maloney Johnson
          Art Teacher

          --
          Kathy Maloney Johnson
          Art Teacher
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
            Diane,
            My school has a set of 10 point & shoot cameras, Canon powershot SD1200, and they're terrific. I bought the same model for myself (1300 model) and for my daughter (now up to 1400) and the quality just keeps getting better-- excellent resolution for both stills and video. We've had the 10-set for 4 years; we selected them based on recommendations from other schools. Canon makes a great camera. However, if I were selecting for a university-level art program I would get SLR's. You're going to want to teach a more sophisticated level of photography skills than you can teach with a pt&shoot.

            BB
            --
            Betsy Brigham
            Elementary Art & Digital Technology

            Confidentiality Notice
            The information contained in this communication, including any attachments, is confidential, constitutes privileged communication, and is intended only for the use of the addressee. The information in this e-mail is also protected by the rights afforded under Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and school district policies.  Any unauthorized use, forwarding, distribution,disclosure, printing or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately at helpdesk@... or return e-mail, and delete any copies of this message immediately.

          • Diane Gregory
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
              Hi Betsy,

              So very kind of you to get back to me.  I actually was thinking about getting a point and shoot camera, since most public schools these days can not afford to buy SLR cameras.  I doubt my art teachers will have the money buy SLRs.  I had an Olympus digital point and shoot camera many years ago.  I loved it.  It was so easy to use.  I really want something that will be easy to teach how to use.

              Is the Canon PowerShot SD 1200 easy to use?

              I got a Canon Rebel SLR and found it was so heavy and difficult to navigate through the menu, that I rarely used it.  I now have a Nikon SLR and it is complicated as well and I would not relish teaching them how to use it.  They are required to take a photo class for their certification requirements, so I thought I could leave the higher end stuff to the photo teachers.  What do you think about that rationale?  Am I off track.

              I really want a camera that is easy to use, is digital and can be used to take photos that we can put into the laptops and iPads that we will have.  I am trying to create a mobile technology art ed classroom.

              Have you had any trouble with cameras being lost or stolen? I am also getting ten or twelve laptops and at least 10 iPads?  I worry about how to store them and keep them secure, maintained, etc.

              Any suggestions along this line would be very helpful.

              Thanks again for getting back to me.

              Diane

[...]

            • Raylene