Art 1

  • kathleenharte
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
      Hi, I will be teaching Art 1 in High School this fall. I'm wondering
      if anyone would like to share how they approach teaching this
      foundation class.
      Thanks,
      Kathleen
    • Margaret Barton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
        Hi Kathleen,

        I have taught this class many times. I would suggest you try to talk to a
        middle school art teacher. You will get an idea of where the students skill
        levels are. In my district they get very little art in middle school. In
        another district I taught in they got twice the art in middle school that my
        present district was teaching. It made a big difference in basic drawing
        ability.

        Check the curriculum of the past teacher. That will give you a clue on what
        supplies you will have. We order supplies in January for the following
        school year. It is far easier to teach some one else's units than to start
        from scratch. You can do a lot to change a lesson and still use the same
        supplies and ideas. You may also discover that the district has a pile of
        paper work due concerning these units so it will also save you time.

        I spend the first semester building confidence with drawing. I treat this
        as a survey class trying to give kids a taste of what is to come in other
        classes and then trying to hit a variety of art media. I feel that most
        students have no basic understanding of art history so I talk about the "art
        giants". I start with Italian Renn. and go forward and connect these artists
        with art units. I choose artists that were key to important art movements or
        influenced a lot of other artists. Hope this gives you some ideas

        Meg Barton

        _____

        Hi, I will be teaching Art 1 in High School this fall. I'm wondering
        if anyone would like to share how they approach teaching this
        foundation class.
        Thanks,
        Kathleen

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "art_education
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education> " on the web.

        _____

      • katday2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
          Hi- I'm a Kathleen, too! I agree with Meg's suggestion of leaning as
          much as you can from previous teachers. However, art is built on
          repetition to build skills, so don't worry too much if you can't get a
          hold of the teachers. Last year was my first in teaching Art 1 and I
          learned so much that I'm revamping my procedures considerably. I'm an
          advocate of letting students choose as much as possible, for instance
          (see TAB Yahoo newsgroup).

          Our district describes Art 1 as a quarter each of drawing, painting,
          sculpture, and mixed media. I found this to limit me (I needed this!)
          and focus our learning in positive ways. As far as activities and
          requirements, I think it's important to include some written response
          to famous works and art's philosophy, some experimenting and
          practicing with media, and some finished product (complete with a
          statement about their intent, process, and reflection on the piece).

          Hope this helps a little. Feel free to ask us more specific questions
          or email me off list. Kat

          -- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "kathleenharte"