Advice for New Teachers - Planning Art Lessons

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2005
      Greetings New Art Teachers and Veteran teachers,

      I know your teacher training/lesson writing classes are all a blur right now.

      Here is a link from Marvin Bartel that is very helpful in planning and
      writing lessons:
      http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/artlsn.html
      (note - scroll down to Supplies as the bookmark on the page is
      misdirected. I will let Marvin know).

      Marvin is retired from teaching now - but continues to teach all of us
      through his web site. http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/art-ed-links.html

      I was an "image flooder" (practice I learned from DBAE) - Marvin is
      opposed to this practice. I guess I used images to inspire because
      that is how I create art. I am inspired by an image I have seen
      somewhere.

      I stumbled across this page again while searching for Big Ideas.

      Incredible Art Resources
    • P. Kelly
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2005
        I stumbled across Marvin Bartel's site on a search for
        assessments. I used some of his techniques in my
        university art ed. course primarily composed of
        liberal arts majors. I did not show any previous
        examples of student work and tried to avoid showing
        too many images to influence their creative process.
        I had students write reflections about each project.
        Whether they realized it or not I felt each student
        approached project from their uniqueness rather than
        trying to conform to what the teacher expected them to
        create. They fought this long and hard all semester,
        but I think students gained so much more from THEIR
        OWN EXPERIENCES WITH THE MEDIA, PROBLEM SOLVING,
        SHARING WITH TABLE MATEs and building community as a
        class.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/