What are the Big Ideas? A Sample checklist

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      This Sample Checklist was sent to me (gathered from a variety of
      Internet sources)

      A Partial Checklist for Enduring Ideas

      What is the topic?

      Does the topic have lasting value beyond the classroom door? Beyond the
      assignment? Beyond the school year? Into adulthood?

      If the time you have to spend on this topic is cut by 50%, would you still
      want students to explore it in depth?

      What is the larger understanding that you wish to express by teaching this
      topic?

      Is the topic essential to understanding other important ideas? What other
      ideas?

      Is this topic likely to be completely understood by studying it only once?
      If so, it is not an enduring idea.

      Could the same topic be adequately covered by using a textbook? If so, it is
      not an enduring idea.

      Are there a variety of ways to teach the topic? Study it? Apply it?

      Is the topic obvious? If so, it is not an enduring idea.

      Does dealing with this topic involve the kinds of problems, challenges, and
      work that adults do?

      Are critical and creative thinking skills involved?

      Is it significant to the arts?

      Now it is "clear as mud" to me (smile)

      Robert sent this to me....

      "We encourage the creative spirit, the development of a positive
      self-concept of identity that may not be possible in other courses."

      Can this be turned into a Big Idea?

      Art encourages the creative spirit - the development of a positive
      self-concept of identity.

      Now how would you go about writing your Guiding Questions for
      Essentail Understanding?

      I don't envy you folks one bit who are being asked to do this now.

      Here are some sources I found while looking for the Big Ideas:

      Here is an article worth reading:
      Big Ideas: Understanding the Artmaking Process: Reflective Practice
      http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3772/is_200405/ai_n9370529

      This is also very good
      Teaching Real Art Making
      http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3772/is_200503/ai_n11827174

      See book:
      Teaching Meaning in Artmaking by Sydney R. Walker
      Teaching Meaning in Artmaking offers you insight into the artmaking process
      with practical applications to your classroom. The author discusses the
      development of big ideas, building a knowledge base of making art, problem
      solving and more.

      This is very good:
      Creating Desired Results for Understanding By John L. Brown
      http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/content/3647/

      Good source for Lesson Plans.....(maybe these won't pertain to you - but you
      can share with others)
      http://www.crbs.umd.edu/finearts/index-all.html Click around throughout the
      site.

      I skimmed through ten pages of Google... found lots of pdf files with big ideas
      mentioned but didn't open them.

      I am looking forward to hearing what your Big Ideas are.

      More to come...

      Incredible Art Resources