What are the Big Ideas? The Essential Understandings?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      I got a request for help with writing curriculum around the Big Ideas
      - Essential Understanding. I have never been to one of the Grant
      Wiggens' workshops... and only put a couple lesson plans online
      written this way (I wrote them back in 1998 before I ever heard of
      Wiggens). All I did was pick out some objectives of my curriculum and
      tweaked them. Our curriculum guide had way more than I could cover in
      12 weeks... so I went for Big Ideas I wanted my kids to take away with
      them.

      Sample Lesson
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/7africa.htm

      Could we come up with a list of BIG IDEAS? (for each main medium)
      Then could we come up with some ESSENTIAL UNDERSTANDINGS? for our
      Guiding Questions?

      Does anyone have some sample lessons they could share with us? I know
      some of your schools are big on Grant Wiggens' Authentic Education -
      Understanding by Design: http://www.grantwiggins.org/

      Here is the request from Robert Teslow:

      Any resources for "enduring understandings" in art education? Can you
      give me an example of "Big ideas" that represent both knowledge and
      skills?

      Example: Printmaking

      Big idea>Social justice -prints are democratic-available to many
      Big idea>Stencils enabled multiple originals
      Big idea>Registration is an essential skill to master in order to produce
      edition prints
      Big Idea> Process/media guides product/performance

      Can you give me an example of enduring understandings that go beyond the
      studio experience?
      Post to the list - OR send to me off list and I will forward to Robert.

      Here are some Big Ideas I found on a site (they called them Essentail
      Understanding):

      The arts help students develop attitudes, characteristics, and
      intellectual skills necessary to work in a changing society;

      In works of art there are many problems that have various solutions,
      each different from the other but equally credible;

      Art conveys knowledge and meaning not learned through the study of
      other subjects. Art education represents a form of thinking and a way of
      knowing based on human judgment;

      Art is the common thread that ties together all other disciplines;

      I did not save the link.... What are your BIG IDEAS?

      I am confused as I don't know the difference anymore between Big Ideas
      and Essential Understanding. Maybe some of you out there can help
      clarify?

      Incredible Art Resources