Long walk to Justice

  • kamla ravikumar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2005
      Hello Judy,
      That was such a wonderful and thought provoking mail.

      I am writing from one such country where 50% of the population is below the poverty line.
      The children who go to school from the poor families, go to Government aided schools.They have no benches to sit on.All the children sit on the floor.Most of them also have no foot wear too.Books and stationery are supplied by the goverment.Due to the water crisis, bath for such kids is a luxury.

      There is the other extreme where we have the :"elite" schools.Children come to such schools in cars which range from a Benz to BMW's.The children from these schools come from upper class and affluent families, and dont have an idea of what poverty really means.

      The PTA associations and school managements of such elite schools ADOPT a goverment aided school to sesnsitize the children and also encourage them to help these deprived kids.

      Art is a very good way of sensitizing the children.Another good way is to let them see slides or films of children from poor countries to enable them to understand what happens in their lives.It is very difficult for children to visualise without seeing pictures.Films and art are very good tools for such education..

      I look forward to the day when poverty will really be history.

      Kamla,
      Chennai,
      India.

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 12:48:39 -0400
      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>
      Subject: LIVE 8 - the Long Walk to Justice

      Greetings Art Educators,

      Charlot (Art Education member) sent me this link:
      LIVE 8 - The Long Walk to Justice:
      http://www.live8live.com/

      "Every single day, 30,000 children die, needlessly, of extreme poverty.
      On July 6th, we finally have the opportunity to stop that shameful
      statistic.
      8 world leaders, gathered in Scotland for the G8 summit, will be
      presented with a workable plan to double aid, drop the debt and make
      the trade laws fair. If these 8 men agree, then we will become the
      generation that made poverty history." (quoted from the site)

      I deliberately selected poverty stricken cultures for many of my
      lessons. USA kids have no idea what real poverty is. I showed them
      what schools were like in those countries as well. USA kids need to
      appreciate more what they have. We need to create a generation that
      cares enough to try to make a difference. More kids really need to
      know. You have that power.

      This quote appeared in the Ed Tech list today....

      "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for
      others?'" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

      Grants are available for service learning.... check your county
      education offices.
      Start with your own community - it will ripple outward.

      I just wanted to give you something else to think about while you plan
      your units for next year.... There is SO much more we can do in ART
      that can not be covered in the "core" curriculum (or doesn't get
      covered in "core"). I know ART is really the CORE (but so few believe
      that these days). ART has the power to make kids FEEL. I guess we
      really need more "highly sensitive people" (some of you will remember
      Robert Genn's newsletter about "highly sensitive people" - it was a
      good one).

      Incredible Art Resources