Music in the classroom

  • Deborah Wheeler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2005
      A collage/assemblage artist named Michelle Ward said, 'When I first start a new piece, the very first thing I do is crank up the music. I'll play a new CD and light a scented candle. Then when I want to go back to that place of creative energy, I'll go back to that CD and it takes me there immediately"
      I teach high school, and I'm wondering if this sort of attention to the 'muse' will help my kids not only listen quietly to music, but also have one more way to tap into their creative self - they would really like to listen to their own music, but our school won't allow personal CDs and Mrs. W doesn't 'do' the loud headbanging or rap music. I completely understand that certain music is the soundtrack of our lives, and mine was pretty noisy at their age, even though now, I can't handle the 'racket'. Many of my assignments are personal discovery based, and that special love song(rap or not) or that teenage 'angsty' song at full volume might be exactly the 'soundtrack' kids need to be the most focused...hmmm, a dilema...

      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>
      2. Where do the lesson ideas come from? Elementary
      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>
      3. Beginning of the Year - Classroom organization
      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>
      4. Re: Re: using music during class
      From: jam hillm <hillmjan@...>
      5. pottery kilns
      From: "kamla_rk" <kamla_rk@...>
      6. For those writing curriculum
      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 12:48:39 -0400
      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>
      Subject: LIVE 8 - the Long Walk to Justice

      Greetings Art Educators,

      Charlot (Art Education member) sent me this link:
      LIVE 8 - The Long Walk to Justice:

      "Every single day, 30,000 children die, needlessly, of extreme poverty.
      On July 6th, we finally have the opportunity to stop that shameful statistic.
      8 world leaders, gathered in Scotland for the G8 summit, will be
      presented with a workable plan to double aid, drop the debt and make
      the trade laws fair. If these 8 men agree, then we will become the
      generation that made poverty history." (quoted from the site)

      I deliberately selected poverty stricken cultures for many of my
      lessons. USA kids have no idea what real poverty is. I showed them
      what schools were like in those countries as well. USA kids need to
      appreciate more what they have. We need to create a generation that
      cares enough to try to make a difference. More kids really need to
      know. You have that power.

      This quote appeared in the Ed Tech list today....

      "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for
      others?'" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

      Grants are available for service learning.... check your county
      education offices.
      Start with your own community - it will ripple outward.

      I just wanted to give you something else to think about while you plan
      your units for next year.... There is SO much more we can do in ART
      that can not be covered in the "core" curriculum (or doesn't get
      covered in "core"). I know ART is really the CORE (but so few believe
      that these days). ART has the power to make kids FEEL. I guess we
      really need more "highly sensitive people" (some of you will remember
      Robert Genn's newsletter about "highly sensitive people" - it was a
      good one).

      Incredible Art Resources

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 14:34:59 -0400
      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>
      Subject: Where do the lesson ideas come from? Elementary

      Greetings Art Educators,

      This is directed to elementary art teachers - but others can add on to
      the ideas too.

      I will add this to the page "How Artists get Ideas" - expanded to how
      Art Teachers get Ideas. Writing lesson plans/coming up with ideas was
      "My Art". I liked coming up with my own lesson ideas.

      This is from Cindy Erickson - posted to Getty list.

      I was brainstorming this morning about creating elementary lesson plans and
      started this list---it is just for fun---this is just a brainstorming list

      How to generate a lesson plan from thin air:

      Pick a favorite children's literature book and design a lesson around it
      (Eric Carle etc.)
      Plan a lesson around a famous artist (Van, Gogh, Monet...)
      Pick a culture and develop a lesson plan by studying their specific style of
      artwork (Australian aboriginal.....)
      Brainstorm a list of themes that children enjoy (swimming, circus, pets)
      Combine 2 seemingly unconnected objects (apple and a Frisbee)
      Teach a concept (abstraction etc.)
      Paint to music (Mozart, Raffi, Blue-grass, Jazz)
      Give each child a found object and have them design around it (juice can
      lids are fun)
      make a list of fun still-lifes for elementary and plan one (toy still life,
      fruit, flowers, sports equipment)
      think of an idea that your kids have trouble with and figure out a lesson
      plan to teach it (overlapping or drawing ellipses)
      bring in a pile of interesting junk and just let kids draw (shells,
      necklaces, small baskets)
      Figure out a correlation idea with math or social studies or???
      Find a fun elementary "crafty" idea and stretch yourself to figure out how
      to make it broader and more creative - turn craft into fine art
      Start with the cheapest material you can think of and design a lesson around
      it (toilet paper rolls)
      Think of something you have never done and design a "trial" lesson
      (puppetry or ??)
      Seasonal (fall leaves or spring animals and babies or....)

      Now think about what media to use:
      pencil, colored pencil, markers, oil or chalk pastels, tempera, watercolor,
      printmaking, collage, cut-paper, torn-paper, wood/wire/clay/soft sculpture,
      clay pottery or sculpture
      crayon or crayon resist,

      Now add in technique you want them to master:
      learning to draw, learning to cut, learning to glue, neatness, perspective,
      overlapping, composition, shading, shadows, patterning
      Now how about: expressiveness, freedom of expression, self-awareness,

      Now incorporate information or teaching about the elements of art and the
      principles of design:
      line, color, value, texture, shape, form, space
      balance, rhythm and movement, proportion, variety and emphasis, harmony and

      Voila! Now you have so many lesson plan ideas - the problem is you have to
      decide which ones to do!

      Add on to this.....

      Think about Character Education. What artists had character traits you
      want the students to emulate? What famous people? Think about lessons
      around Heroes.

      Think about world issues. What is it that you really want the students
      to care about? Peace - hunger - poverty. Even younger kids can deal
      with social comment.

      Keep on adding to the "Lesson Plan Brainstorming - How Teachers get Ideas"
      Keep in mind the kiddies have good ideas of their own, too.

      Incredible Art Resources

      Message: 3
      Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:38:24 -0400
      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>
      Subject: Beginning of the Year - Classroom organization

      Dear Art Educators,

      Here is a beginning of year idea that Laurie Reber shared with me.

      I had planned to start off the first day with
      introductions, expectations, etc. Then, I was going to
      have the students make I.D. cards for checking out art
      supplies from me (supplies that I really need to keep
      a close watch on - Xacto, copper tooling tools, etc).
      The students design a 4 x 6 index card by drawing,
      coloring on one side. Then they can use glitter glue,
      sharpies, etc to write info like one would find on a
      driver's license - name, address, height, eye color,
      hair color. Then I have the tables numbered, so they
      write the table number they are sitting at on their
      card, then something interesting about themselves,
      then their favorite band/singer/music, their favorite

      On the reverse side, I get pertinent info
      like parent/step-parent/guardian info, siblings, phone
      numbers where parents (or other guardian) can be
      reached (cell, work, etc.). Then their homework is to
      bring in a small picture of themselves to be placed on
      their ID cards the next class period. This is a great
      way for me to remember who my 240 students per
      semester are since I have a name to connect to the
      face, and it really helps me to manage my supplies.

      When a table needs to check out supplies for a
      particular lesson, one student per table is
      responsible for checking those supplies out. They need
      to find their ID card (which are now placed in a file
      box by class period),remove it from the file box, and
      then placed in a tray on my desk. When clean-up time
      comes, I know who from each table checked out what
      supplies and can call them up to return supplies (they
      are responsible for checking to see that all they
      checked out is returned) so if anything is missing, I
      know right away where the problem is.

      I have also decided to do the Starry Night matrix for
      back to school night.
      You might want to make a template card and get them printed on colored
      card stock. I had ID cards that I did with students the first day -
      but we didn't turn them into an art project - and I didn't have such a
      perfect use for them. My cards were boring - just info for me. I used
      the have the template on IAD. I'll see if I can find it.

      Hope this sparks some ideas.... I started on the Beginning of Year
      ideas but didn't get very far:

      Happy July 4th Weekend (USA Members).

      Incredible Art Resources

      Message: 4
      Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
      From: jam hillm <hillmjan@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: using music during class

      Hi Kat,
      The 60 beat a min. music works fiarly well. I have a
      few by Gary Lamb - I think Sax carries them. Also
      mentioned at an earlier dicussion was Reiki music, so
      I went to half.com and got one of those cds, too.
      Both of those types of music mellow the students, but
      does not put them to sleep. Kids really move (and
      talk) to the beat, so music that is not too fast/wild
      works better for my comfort level as teacher in the

      J - Wow

      Yahoo! Mail Mobile

      Message: 5
      Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:24:51 -0000
      From: "kamla_rk" <kamla_rk@...>
      Subject: pottery kilns

      I need help with addresses of outlets(in the US) where I could order
      for a pottery kiln.Small size one, which I can ship to my country....

      I want to fire objects made from terracotta-clay.

      Thank you,

      Message: 6
      Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:38:14 -0400
      From: Judy Decker <judy.decker@...>
      Subject: For those writing curriculum

      Greetings Art Educators,

      I don't envy you one bit. I have just been browsing curriculum
      links.... some good...some bad.... Quite frankly can not decide what
      to do with them all.

      I read through the new Ohio Curriculum (On Ohio Department of Education site).
      I imagine your state has the pdf file online as well. I saved the Ohio
      Visual Art Standards to file.

      Here is a site that has links to curriculum:

      Here is a site I looked at that focused on "essential understanding":
      Pretty basic curriculum maps (although they do get too project
      specific on some).

      This publication from NAEA might be helpful:

      No. 256 Creating Curriculum in Art

      By Phillip Dunn. Creating Curriculum in Art, newest in NAEA's Point of
      View Series, outlines the theoretical orientations for art curricula,
      the five critical areas for art curriculum development, an examination
      and analysis of curricular approaches, and a discussion of student
      evaluation and art program assessment. This book translates art theory
      into curriculum-and into daily practice for the art teacher,
      curriculum coordinator, and for the school administrator! Creating
      Curriculum in Art is a central text for anyone teaching art
      curriculum; anyone redesigning an art curriculum; anyone writing and
      planning an art curriculum; and anyone assessing an art curriculum.
      Creating Curriculum in Art is for the student, the young professional,
      as well as the experienced art educator! It is indispensable for
      teacher centers, libraries, and staff development collections.
      96 pgs. {1995} ISBN 0-937652-88-1
      $18.00; Member Price $11.00

      Incredible Art Resources

      Yahoo! Groups Links