Altered Book Site to spark a lesson

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2005
      Greetings Art Educators,

      Cynthia Gaub sent me this site:
      http://www.lookatbook.com/
      This is a sketchbook that was exchanged between four artists - two in
      Brooklyn and two in Belfast (fortunately, they stuck with their
      mailing schedule - smile).

      I can see this inspiring an altered book exchange between two
      teachers. One in USA - one over seas. This is how I think it might
      work.....

      Each teacher begin with one book for the exchange. Each student do one
      spread in the book - leave the next spread blank for the exchange
      student to do - reflecting/responding to the art on the preceeding
      page. Students of course would be working on their OWN altered books
      at the same time. They would do a technique/idea in the exchange book
      that worked out well in their own. The theme for the exchange could be
      something general - Culture - identity.

      Once each student has done a page in the books - they would be mailed
      for the exchange. Each student would do a spread and books would be
      returned.

      The teachers would photograph all of the pages that have been done in
      their home base book and create a PowerPoint for each student
      (PowerPoint could be shown looping during your art show). The actual
      book would be kept by the teacher - OR could be auctioned? Of course
      each student would have their own personal altered book as well. This
      book exchange project would stretch out through out the year, I assume
      - so a work station/center would be set up for students to do the
      exchange altered book.

      If anyone tries this, let me know. I bet you could get a mini grant?
      Include some email exchanges as well to learn about the
      students/culture of your exchange project. There were some interested
      in trying Round Robins between schools. I think having two mailings
      would be doable.

      Thanks for sharing Cynthia.

      Incredible Art Resources